WYCHERLEY, Andrew b1705

14 replies [Last post]
Gena Dodd Nee W...

Hi looking for the marriage of Andrew Wycherley to Mary .  Their 1st child was born in 1733.  Found his baptism in Wroxeter.  Their 1st child was born in Atcham. 

My Shropshire PR only start at 1754 for marriages so cannot find them there.  Know Mark has told me to look in the WVR but cannot find it there either.  But do not know how the World Vital Record works.  Not been able to find anyone in it.

Is there another cd that anyone knows about that will have this info on.

Also looking for his parents marriage.  Again Andrew Wycherley married to Elizabeth, believe i have their deaths in 1726 and 1719 resp.  Their 1st child as far as I can see was born in 1700.

MarkCDodd

Andrew's marriage is not in the Atcham register but his brother John's marriage is. All of Andrew's and John's children are in the Atcham register. You will probably have to look for the banns to find what parish Andrew married in. Wroxeter seems the most likely since that was his place of abode and I assume his wife's parish was Atcham.

Martyn Freeth

The c.ds that contain Shropshire parish registers are, I believe, anoptical scan of some of those that were  printed by Shropshire Parish Register Society. The coverage by the IGI  of marriages in the five old, pre 1820 parishes of Shrewsbury  is< i believe, still incomplete. These might be tried for you. Watch this space but it may be a while.

MarkCDodd

Not married in Wroxeter either.....

Or any other Shropshire Parish I have records for (which is most of them)

Gena Dodd Nee W...

Thanks for looking Mark .  I have been going through my SPR set 2 and cannot find any.  As they say near Berwick does that have PR and if so where would l get a copy.  Thanks.

Martyn Freeth

No Gena. Berwick is in the parish of Atcham. In the earlier 18th century the hamlet was much larger tnan now, before Attingham Park was created. But nearby Longner was a detached part of one of the Shrewsbury parishes.

If Mark cannot find the marriage in his sources (which presumably include St Chad's and St Mary's, as printed) I would propose a search of Holy Cross (the Abbey) which adjoined Atcham, followed by St Julian' and St Alkmund's. These three are merely on fiches and in ms transcripts.

Gena Dodd Nee W...

Thanks for that will look into getting the 3 you suggested.

MarkCDodd

I still think you should look for the Banns in the Wroxeter and Atcham records. We know he was living in Wroxeter with his brother John prior to moving to Berwick.

Wycherley is spelled many different ways and they could have been married in a Welsh or Staffordshire church, or anywhere for that matter, depending on where Mary was born or living.

Martyn Freeth

Per Shropshire Archives' list of holdings, no banns books survive for either Atcham or Wroxeter before 1823.

I still hope to get in to look up them other three at the end of the week.

Gena Dodd Nee W...

I would not know where to look for banns .  Thank you both

Michael J Hulme

Hello Gena

Banns Books are just another parish register in the same way as Baptisms, Marriages and Burials. They should be with the other parish records in the local archives if they are not still at the parish.

In some cases the Banns are included in the same book as the Marriages and in other cases they are contained within their own book. The big advantage with Banns are that they are called (three t i m e s) in the home parish of both the Bride and Groom and both specify which parish the marriage is going to take place in. So whichever person you have knowledge of you stand a chance of finding the proposed place of marriage but do be aware that somet i m e s the marriage may never have taken place even though the Banns were read.

You should also remember that some marriages take pace by Licence in which case there won't be any Banns. You may well need to search at the Diocesan Archives for these if there isn't a microfilm locally.

Mike

Martyn Freeth

Was unable to get to Archives last week. Perhaps next, but cannot promise. If desperate ask Archives, but minimum cost is £5-00. archives@shropshire.gov.uk .

Gena Dodd Nee W...

Thanks .  No not in hurry still trying to find other Wycherley's they seem to have  spouses but cannot find there surnames.  Think they all lived over the brush . If you every do go it would be great if you could look but do not go to any trouble.  Thanks  G

Martyn Freeth

No sign of any marriage of any Andrew Wycherley or variant of the surname 1719-1732 in Holy Cross, St Alkmund's or St Julian's. Nor in Boyd's typescript index (covering all Salop printed registers) 1700-1750. (The management accepts no liability for errors or omissions and customers should seek independent genealogial advice!)

Noting in passing in Wroxeter that the father Andrews seems to have been buried as a pauper and labourer about 1726, perhaps Andrew junior simply did not bother, or used some cheap, clandestine service.

That raises another large theme, but perhaps not now the time.

Gena Dodd Nee W...

Martyn thank so much for looking. Seems to be my life story them not marrying.  Yes we were paupers and looks like in the current climate we will still be lol.