William RAINSFORD baptism c1816

2 replies [Last post]
Glynis G

I am hoping somehow to find the baptism of William RAINSFORD who was born around 1816 in Shropshire.

His mother was called Ann and his father, I believe, was also called William. He had at least 1 brother and 2 sisters, (Thomas, Harriott and Mary).

I found the family in the 1841 cencus living in Castlefields, Shrewsbury, St Mary district.

I would also like to try and find the marriage of his parents (William?) and Ann c1810 which should be in this area as they were all born there. Not sure if that needs a separate topic though!

I live in West Sussex and a visit to Shrewsbury would be out of the question at the moment, so I would be grateful of any help to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks, Glynis

Michael J Hulme

Hello Glynis

I don't have any answers to your questions but would like to draw your attention to a few points which might help you.

In the 1841 census the ages of adults were generally rounded down to the nearest five years so that is why all the ages on the Shrewsbury page you have found end in zero or five. Whilst William RAINSFORD is shown as age 25 and born about 1816 in fact he could have been anything from 25-29 years old and born any time between 1811/2 and 1816 depending on his month of birth.

You have presumably assumed that the household on the 1841 census consists of mother Ann RAINSFORD and four children. This may well be correct but there is nothing on the 1841 census to prove this so treat this with caution.

The 1841 census transcript may well say all the residents of the house were born in Shropshire but if you look at the original census image there is a column where it asks "Whether Born in same County" which is generally answered with a simple Y or N but don't accept this to freely. I have a family in another part of Shrewsbury where that column has Y for all of them but in fact half of them were born in York. The census enumerator must have been a bit economical with his questioning of the family.

The marriage of William RAINSFORD and Ann ? c.1810 doesn't show up on the Shropshire Marriage Index (available on CD-ROM from Shropshire FHS) which should include all marriages in Shropshire at that time unless they were included in Boyd's Marriage Index which is now available on the Find my Past web site but again your marriage doesn't show up unless it took place outside Shropshire.

Mike

Glynis G

Thanks very much for your reply Mike. I know from years of family research not to take the data too seriously, rather with a large pinch of salt!

I did do some research today on the IGI and found a William Rainsford baptised on 8th Sept 1814 in St Mary, Shrewsbury, to parents William and Ann Rainsford. However I aso found the baptism of another William on 22nd Dec 1811 in Dawley, he also had parents called William and Ann Rainsford! 

However I did not find any information on Williams siblings so could not make a possible match to either of those records. (That's if they were his siblings of course). I have also started to search in surrounding counties and also in Ireland. Looks like I will be spending a large number of evenings glued to my computer.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Glynis