william or joseph collier shrewsbury any information joseph a gamekeeper william a tin worker in 1800's

3 replies [Last post]
chrisc

does anyone have information on william or joseph collier, 

joseph collier a gamekeeper from garmston dob 1821 married 1843v, father was 

william collier tin worker, any help with information please

Michael J Hulme

Hello Chris

I see from the 1851 and 1861 census that Joseph COLLIER was born at Wellington in 1821 but at the moment I can't find any trace of a baptism for him.

The 1843 marriage took place at St George's Chapel in (Frankwell) Shrewsbury but at this time Joseph was stated to be a Tin-Plate Worker the same as his father so is this the correct marriage or did he change occupation between 1843 and 1851?

To further complicate the situation the 1841 census for Ditherington, Shrewsbury shows William COLLIER as a Clerk and his son Joseph as a Gamekeeper.  There is also another 1841 census entry for Little Wenlock where Joseph COLLIER age 20 a Gamekeeper is living with the family of Richard SCOLTOCK or SCOTTOCK a Bricklayer.

The 1843 marriage in Shrewsbury was between Joseph COLLIER and Jane SCOLTOCK where her father is shown as Thomas SCOLTOCK a Bricklayer.

By the way, I think you will find that the abode of Joseph COLLIER in the 1851 and 1861 census is Brockholes Bank which is about 1 km (5/8 mile) north of Leighton village. This link will take you to Google maps to what I am fairly certain is the location where he was living. You can zoom out to get a wider picture.

I will leave you to sort out how these various people fit together.

Mike

chrisc

thank you  so much for the help very interesting 

chrisc

history  and previous owners of brockholes bank  listed building shrewsbury listed : 1366854

especially  interested in joseph collier around 1800's gamekeeper  any help please?