WHITFIELD Joseph 1770

12 replies [Last post]
nigel whitfield

I am researching Joseph WHITFIELD born 1770 married 22/6/1790 High Ercall, Shropshire to Susannah KEY 26/01/1770 - 1856. I have been unable to locate any ancestry prior to Joseph. I have seen many WHITFIELDs in the Shropshire area but cannot match any up to Joseph, if anybody could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Martyn Freeth

A few points or queries:

1. Have you seen the full entry for the 1790 marriage at High Ercall? To look for JW's then parish of residence, whether parental consent was needed (one or both parties under age 21), whether by licence, names of witnesses, literacy of all concerned. The original on fiche ought to be seen. Not all the above may appear in the printed version.

2. I see JW (only via Family Search index) in 1841 Census, aged 70 (possibly as usual rounded down), born in the county. Have you found him in 1851? He ought to be there; as I take it that, per FreeBMD, he died in Dec quarter 1852 in Wellington, Salop Reg District (right one for High Ercall). If so, naturally, what was his then age and stated place of birth?

3. Look at "Online Resources" above for available MIs for the surname. Humbler folk often missed out; many can be worn (partic in sandstone country); or tidied away.

4. Look at the thread on availablity of parish registers and see the link posted by Michael Hulme to access Shropshire Archives's lists of their holdings of registers.

5. When done, note the long gap in 18th C for Stoke-upon-Tern. But it has seemed that IGI may have some additional coverage from Bishops' Transcripts.

6. Note the names of the children of JW and Susan(nah) through a "parent" search of IGI - to look for clues as to parents' names of each of them.

7. Browse Robert Ridgeway's site www.archelou.com. (might be co.uk).

Martyn Freeth

I have answered some of the questions, at Archives today. Please say if you need the full details from the fiche for the 1790 marriage; or 1851 Census.

nigel whitfield

I have found marriage details however this does not identify the parents and states with consent of parents

Martyn Freeth

It is very, very rare for any names of parents to be given at marriages before July 1837. It may be that Joseph's baptism, say, at High Ercall is simply missing. But note my comments about Stoke-upon-Tern.

One tack might be to attempt to create a puzzle sheet of various family groupings in the general area, using (while at a dstance) the IGI, and in particular, "parent" searches.

The Shropshire Burials Index (see "Shop" icon) might be a good and long-term investment. It has no entries for Whitfield in High Ercall, but there, I believe, cover may yet be only 1813-37. There are several each for Great Bolas, Edgmond and Hodnet and two post 1812 for S-o-T.

chris.head

Hello Nigel - I hope you are still a member.
Joseph Whitfield is my 4 x great grandfather.  Like you I have always been unable to go back any further.  However, I go to the Archives every week to help with the Burials Index and a couple of weeks ago, quite by chance, I came across the following baptism in the Chetwynd parish registers:

• 5th June 1768  Joseph, son of Mary BREESE and Joseph WHITFIELD.

In the 1851 Census Joseph gives Childs Ercall as his place of birth.Childs Ercall parish was right next to Chetwynd parish in those days.  I feel that this must be our Joseph.
I feel that, as he always went by the name WHITFIELD it is likely that his father married Mary BREESE but I have been unable to find a nice neat marriage, unfortunately.  I will keep plugging away.

Best wishes,  Chris Head

John@3788

He is also my 4x great grandfather.

Michael J Hulme

I have sent an email to Nigel Whitfield to let him know there is a new reply to his message.

MJH (Admin)

Karen Evans

He is also my 3 x great grandfather. I would appreciate any new information you can find please Chris as It has baffled me for years, thanks.

chris.head

To Karen and John,

I have only just seen your messages which are nearly two years old so I hope you are still members and can receive my reply.  I have lots of information.  Let me know if there is any specific you need.

Karen Evans

Hi Chris, I was looking for brothers or sisters of Joseph but maybe Mary Breese  and Joseph didn't marry, that could be why I can't find any. Did you know that according to one of our cousins who still lives in the area, the property Joseph farmed at is still there? It is the first property on the road behind the Seven Stars at Cold Hatton. I am looking at Whitfield's from Hodnet and Wem in the 1600's trying to tie them together, any information you have would be appreciated. Many thanks Karen

Karen Evans

Just been looking on shropshirehistory.org.uk and found Joseph Whitfield,William Whitfield & Robert Breese for the child of Robert Breese's daughter. Identify ref P60/L/6/12. At Shropshire archives. 

Will check it out next time I'm there.

chris.head

Hello Karen

Yes - I have a copy of the above document.  The bastardy bond states that ELIZABETH Breese (NOT Mary as stated in the Chetwynd baptism record) names Joseph Whitfield as father to her forthcoming child.  The father of Elizabeth, Robert Breese, and the father of Joseph, William Whitfield are bound to pay the parish of Chetwynd for the child's expenses.  This makes me think that both Elizabeth and Joseph must be under age.  William is of the parish of Childs Ercall and Robert of the parish of Chetwynd. 

In spite of all this I have been unable to find anything out about Elizabeth Breese or what became of her - I assume she must have brought up the child (Joseph junior, our ancestor) but his father must have acknowledged him as he took his name.   I cannot find a marriage for either.

Just to confuse matters Joseph junior also had a bastardy bond against him which refers to him as Joseph Whitfield alias Breese of Cold Hatton. 

Very interested to hear about the farm - my husband and I have driven out there to look at Cold Hatton but didn't know where they lived.

My e-mail number is christinehead289@gmail.com - please contact me for further details.