Walter Harold JONES 1897

3 replies [Last post]
Cliff Jones

Looking for any information on Walter Harold JONES born 1897 in Church Pulverton. I know he served in the KSLI and that he moved to B'ham.
He signed up at 17. His records are among the ' burnt documents' so have limited info. Was just trying to find someone that could give me any info on him.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Cliff

Have you seen Walter's baptism record on Find my Past (fee or subscription) where it shows he is the son of Robert & Martha JONES a farmer of Churton.

Churton seems to be an abbreviated form of Church Pulverbatch but looking at the original parish register the vicar has used all three forms of the place name on one page, ie Pulverbatch, Church Pulverbatch and Churton, so I have no idea how he decided which way he was going to write the place name in any particular case.

Mike

Cliff Jones

Thanks Mike. I know the place name thing is a little confusing. I never knew Walter (my grandad) as he died in his early 50's whilst visiting relatives in Kent. I have his 1st World War medals and was trying to find a few things out about his service, but unfortunately his records are among the 'burnt records' so have only got limited answers.
My father died a while ago and my mum never met my dad's dad so it looks like I have gone as far as I can which is a shame.
Regards Cliff

GrahamOfSalop

Hi Cliff, are you looking on FindMyPast, because I thought there was quite a bit about his health and service:-

• 1914 Singapore operations against Mutineers,
  • 1917 France.
  • That he qualified as a Light Vehicle Driver,
  • Malaria, Flat Feet, Gun Shot Wounds,
  • Father Robert Jones of 2 Yew Tree Cottages, Lyth Bank, Bayston Hill, (I had PALMERs, CROWTHERs & DAVIES' living in 1 Yew Tree Cottages!).

There's lots there, I think, compared to my "Burnt Records" ancestor.