VERNONs - Whitchurch Workhouse 1871

9 replies [Last post]
John Nolan

Trying to find information about Twins Thomas & Samuel Vernon born 1863 Tunstall Staffs. They were both in Whitchurch Workhouse age 8 in 1871. Why were they there? I cannot see them on the 1881 census. Parents William & Martha Vernon (Edge)

morrisonman

Hmm - a bit of an enigma !

I think I can find them both at 1891 (but that is not what you needed !).

will tray again later,

MM

morrisonman

ER...
Forgot to add suggestion as to why they are there :
It could be that their mother died after they were born: FreeBMD has a d/ for a "Martha Vernon" in 1864...
At 1881 and 1871, looks like the father was a widower in Stone with their sister Emma
At 1861, before they were born, he looks to be shoe manufacturer, employing 30 people in Stone.
Perhaps after his wife died, he could not cope with the twins ?

MM

morrisonman

Just a bit more, before I throw in the towel (-:

At 1881, there is a "Thomas Edward VERNON" born "Woolstanton" and aged "20".
He is marked as "SON" to a David VERNON b. c.1825.
The problem is, FreeBMD has no record (yet, that is...) of a birth anywhere in Staffs for a Thomas Edward VERNON for anything like the right years...  Idem Shropshire and idem Cheshire...

I tried the same theory for Samuel Charles Vernon as 1881; however he looks "authentic" (if you would excuse the expression).

What strikes me also is the several occurrences of "Chesterton, Cheshire" in these two respective "satellite" families, and proximity of same to Woolstanton.  I am tempted to wonder if the twins had not been "adopted" or otherwise taken in by relations in the Vernon family ?

HTH
Brgds,
MM

John Nolan

Thanks for your repies morrisonman.

I have Thomas Vernon birth cert 21/05/1863 wolstanton Tunstall Staffs. Father William, mother Martha nee Edge

I have Martha  Edge & William Vernon marriage certificate 1/03/1853 Parish Church Malpas. Williams dad Charles & Martha's dad Samuel. Living in Tushingham Chester.

Can find William (born 1837) on 1841 & 1851 Census living with Mother & father, Charles in Horton Cheshire.

morrisonman

You're welcome ! (I'm not doing much to help !)

====================================

Is there a "better" age on your copy of their m/c ?

(because "Wm b. 1837" looks A BIT young to be m. in 1853...)
I searched for him at 1841 per your info till blue in face, & cannot find them !
Found a Wm with father "Charles" and mother "Mary" at 1851, living Horton, Cheshire as you say.
BTW, IGI has an "amateur" entry for a Wm with father Charles baptised 1830 at "Witton", but the mother is "Margaret")
In any event, looks like my "William of Stone" (Shoe Mfr) theory has taken a knock for the moment...!

I have part-checked 1861 Census for them, since they are presumably alive if having twins in 1863...): Cheshire and Staffs both draw blanks...

MM

John Nolan

William is on the 1841 Living with parents Charles & Mary at Willington Hanmer then called Flintshire. Surname down as VARNOM. Birth as 1834. (Birth dates do vary alot on each census)

Thomas Vernon next shows on the 1891 census as married to Sarah living in Linehouses Wolstanton

morrisonman

Thanks for that, I would never have found them (-:

Also checked 1891 again - I find your Thomas again, and also his alter ego at the borax works, born 1858-ish so bang goes another of my theories !

The enigma continues...

mollymandysb

Hi John

Not sure if this helps but I have Vernons in my family tree, they stem from Cheshire.  Will search through and see if there is a connection.  My Great Granny was Edith Vernon born in Winsford Cheshire and her dad was Robert Vernon, they also had a son called Thomas, so I will as said look through my files. 

Molly

John Nolan

Thanks Molly

The Parents were from Malpass married 1853

John