Unknown Parish in 1652 Will

5 replies [Last post]
david64

Evening,

I am seeking help in deciphering a parish from a 1652 will. I have attached a portion. The word is on the forth line from bottom. I have:

"... the two mannors the one lying in the parish of Llansilin and the other in the parish of --------- the one being in the possession..."

http://s13.postimage.org/q5o69rs3p/edllwyntud_man1652.jpg

The area concerned in Shropshire, Denbighshire and maybe Montgomeryshire. Though I can't identify that place as a parish.

Thanks in advance for assistance.
david64

Could it be Emstrey?

Martyn Freeth

Definitely not Emstrey, David. Am going through the full list of Welsh parishes, but take the first three letters as A c e, with a final y (or remotely, g).

Could it be in Chesh? Though the surname of the occupier George Barkley is asssociated much with NW Salop at the period.

What is the name and parish of the testator?

Atcherley.org.uk

David

I would agree with the two respondents to your post on this subject at RootsChat, that the word appears to be Acestrey (see the A in Anne and Ales, the testator's daughters). What parish that might be, I can't say.

Steve

david64

Thanks, as pointed out on the above-linked RootsChat post, Oswestry is a possible.

@ M. Freeth, I believe you may have the will, it is the will of Thomas ab Edward, prob. 1652, progenitor of the Edwards, of West Felton. George Barclay (will) is occ. of the one in Llansilin. There is a Robert Lewis living in Oswestry (from PRs), in Sweeney.

Martyn Freeth

Yes, David. I now think that it is a vernacular "take" on your own town, "Ossestree". A George Berckley married there in 1623, per IGI.

Nice that the query should relate to a testator who may be one of our mutual ancestors.