Thomas JONES, born Shrewsbury 8 Jan 1811

3 replies [Last post]
lynnepa

I am trying to find out information about my family. My great-great grandfather Thomas Jones was born on 8 Jan 1811 and christened at St. Mary's church in Shrewsbury on 16 August 1811. His parents were Thomas and Honour Frances Jones and his siblings were Martha born 19 September 1808 and John Jones born 22 January 1807. I also found an Emma Jones, born in Whitchurch, baptised on 8th October 1818. Thomas was a victualler in Raven Street in 1807. 

I would be very grateful for any help at all.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Lynne

The street name 'Raven Street' was in use from about 1775 until about 1830 and derived that name from the Raven Inn (later the Raven Hotel) which was demolished about fifty years ago. The street is now known as 'Castle Street' if you want to look it up on any online mapping.

If you can determine the name of the pub that Thomas JONES ran then it might be possible to establish where it was in the street.

You need to find a marriage for Thomas JONES and Honour but I can't immediately see one on Family Search or Boyd's Marriage Index on Find my Past.

Mike

lynnepa

Thanks a lot for the information MIke. I'm struggling to find the marriage and not sure where to look to see which pub he had, will have to have a think about that on.As I live in Salford I don't have access to Kelly's directories for Gainsborough.  Kind regards...Lynne

penbex86

Hi Lynne

You can view some directories online through  http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

I had a quick scan through the Shrewsbury section of the 1835 Pigott Directory which lists the Inn owners (Page 376) and could see no Jones listed for Castle Street... but they may have moved on from that trade since 1807.