Thomas HORTON apparently born c1829 at Shenington (Sheinton?)

14 replies [Last post]
Joe Emery

I am seeking the birth/baptism of Thomas Horton apparently born c1829 at Shenington (Sheinton?). He appears to have married an Elizabeth....somewhere, and they had four children born Ellesmere according to census reports. Elizabeth was said to be born at Prees but I find no record of that either. They do not seem to have married at Ellesmere.

A Thomas Horton married either Elizabeth Millichope OR Mary Woodcock at 1857 March Qtr. Atcham 6a 813. The other man on page 813 was a Thomas Price who,in 1861,had a wife - Mary. Thomas Horton does not come up in 1861 although in 1871 and until 1901,he had a wife Elizabeth, born Prees.

This problem arises frequently and buying Marriage & Birth Certificates to find out if one is looking at the right family is becoming too costly. Is there any way of establishing the identity of either principal in a marriage please,without ordering certificates ?

Secondly has anyone any knowledge of this family please ?   Joe Emery Oxon FHS

Michael J Hulme

[Reply from Martyn Freeth]

Hello. First point: you have posted onto the end of an existing thread rather than open a fresh one. The existing heading will give no hint of your quite different question. The webmaster or others with full access may be able to correct this. [Now corrected]

Next, am I right in thinking that Thomas and Elizabeth are the couple in Wirswall, Chesh at 1881 Census, he a gamekeeper? That Elizabeth was born in Prees. He then gave his age as 50, which may alter things for you, while his birthplace is Shavington, "Chester". I would take this as Shavington, NNW of Market Drayton and mainly in the parish of Calverhall. The park of that Hall is right against the Cheshire border; and this would fit with the misspelt place that you mentiuon from and earlier Census, which is given as in Shropshire. (There may of course be a dofferent Shavington in Chesh. Try Google search.

Next, I suggest casting your marriage net for an earlier span. I have tried 1848 / 1857; and this brings up TH as married to an Elizabeth, either Maddox or Ruscoe March quarter 18655 in Wem District 6a 900.

Now that fits well with Prees and Shavington, Prees being just north of Wem. Turning now to the IGI for Salop and searching a span around Elizabeth's age of 49 in 1881 you will find Elizabeths both Maddox (or variant) and Ruscoe bap at Prees.

As regards TH, Calverhall may not be in IGI for an appropriate period, or he may have been bap over the border. (Cheshire is as poorly covered by IGI as is Oxon!).

Martyn Freeth

Bit more. I suggest the usual step of obtaining the birth certificate for one of the identifiable children of T and E - such as for the unique Ralph - per FreeBMD June quarter 1867 Ellesmere Reg District 6a 735; which would give the mother's maiden surname.

I see from 1871 Census (index only, per Family Search) that his birthplace was given as Wales. Possibly so, as Ellesmere District (as you can see from opening up "Ellesmere" in the entry for Ralph's birth) included the parishes of the detached part of Flints known as Maelor Saesneg (English Maelor). Wirswall (in Chesh) is very close not merely to Whitchuch but also to Maelor.

All in all, what can so far be gleaned about this family unit involves an area of only a comparatively few miles radius.

Martyn Freeth

And some more. Using index-only for 1901 Census per Family Search I see that the Thomas Horton who was then at Wirswall, aged 70, gave then his birthplace as Adderley, Shropshire. That, oddly it might seem, fits with earlier statements in that the Shavington estate was and is partly in Adderley parish (as well as in Calverhall; while the greater part was in Cheshire). More can be said on this topic, owners, etc, if required.

I would tend therefore to rule out the other Shavington which (as I really knew but forgot) is near Crewe, Cheshire.

Using Henry Reginald Corbet, the later owner of the adjacent Adderley estate, as a sample I see that his baptism in 1832 at Adderley is there as a real entry in the IGI, indicating coverage for what might be your required period. At present I do not have to hand a similar sampler for Calverhall.

Martyn Freeth

Getting closer, perhaps. I suggest homing in for now on the marriage (per IGI for Salop) 26.5.1819 at Adderley of Thomas Horton and Margaret Hunt. Then make a "parent" search against Thomas Horton and Margaret for 10 years either side of 1828; and note the baptisms of issue at Whitchuch, Ightfield and Adderley, including a Thomas in 1831 at Whitchurch. The latter parish had a large, rural area which on the east was separated by only a mile or so of parts of Ightfield from the Shavington area, then on east to Adderley.

Martyn Freeth

Mr Emery has, yet again, posted a reply under the latest open thread (which was then "SMALLMAN") rather than under this one, which was opened in order to correct his last mistake.

Next, he has failed to acknowledge my postings above in this thread, which represent not a small amount of effort.

Next, he homes in on Elizabeth Ruscoe as the wife of Thomas Horton, while the page in FreeBMD includes also Elizabeth MADDOX, as I mentioned. And that marriage in 1855 was, as I said, in Wem, not Whitchurch Reg District, as he now states. As it seems from his original post that he does not yet have a birth certificate for a child of T and E Horton he cannot (from what he has disclosed) be certain of the mother's maiden surname.

I would now point him to the baptism of Elizabeth Maddox 23.9.1828 at Prees. Her father was Ralph, which was the name of one of T and E Horton's children. It is hardly new to find a wife understating her age in Censuses.

Martyn Freeth

As and when Mr Emery has commented, I may later this week at Shropshire Archives look for the marriage in first quarter 1855 at Prees (which was in Wem Reg District); but would not go beyond that parish - seemingly the bride's home parish. (She may have died "aged 73" in Dec quarter 1905 in Whitchurch Reg District; Thomas, perhaps aged 88 in Wem Reg District Dec quarter 1919). Note MIs for the surname under "Online Resources" above.

Michael J Hulme

Posted elsewhere by Joe Emery and moved here.

I am researching the family of Thomas HORTON born probably at or near Whitchurch c1829 and who,I believe,married Elizabeth Ruscoe in 1855 in the Whitchurch Registration District. Do any members have an interest in the HORTON or RUSCOE families please ?   Joe Emery

Martyn Freeth

i have full details of the 1855 marriage (and some other entries elsewhere) to post when Mr Emery has replied.

Martyn Freeth

The hestitancy in last item came from wish not to waste time if postings were not to be read or read thoroughly. The searches and composing this reply have taken 1 ½ hours. Perhaps “the authorities” might mail Mr Emery to advise that what now follows awaits him.

(1). Prees marriages on fiche: 5.2.1855 Thomas HORTON (illiterate), 23, bachelor, gamekeeper, Combermere [ son of ] Thomas Horton, labourer; and Elizabeth MADDOX (illiterate), 25, spinster, Prees [ daughter of ] Ralph Maddox, labourer; witnesses Charles Rogerson (? Difficult signature) and Jessie Lawton (who also signs – note Jessie as the name of Thomas and Elizabeth’s second child);

[ The next entry 8.2.1855 is marriage of John Emerton and Elizabeth RUSCOE. ]

[ Note that Ralph occurs frequently in Maddox / Maddocks in Prees and Wem, even before registers, at Coton, ]

TH was probably then in employ of Field Marshal, 1st Viscount Combermere [ family name Stapleton-Cotton ] at Combermere Abbey, just over the Cheshire border from Whitchurch.

(2). Whitchurch baptisms: 17.4.1831 Thomas son of Thomas and Margaret HORTON, Ash, labourer;

(3). Adderley marriages on fiche: 27.5.1819 Thomas HORTON (illiterate) of parish of Moreton [ Say ] and Margaret HUNT (literate) of this parish married by banns; witnesses Mary Peak (?) and John Hudson who both sign;

(4) Note the above couple in Dodcott cum Wilkesley, Chesh (next over the border from Adderley) in 1861 Census (index only seen); he born about 1796 somewhere in Shropshire (but not in IGI), she born about 1794 in Whitchurch; also with them James, born about 1830 in Audlem.

(5) Adderley MIs per SFHS: Thomas Horton died 21.7.1865 aged 68; nothing for Margaret;

(6) Whitchurch MIs: none relevant;

(7) Uffington (near Shrewsbury) baptisms: 27.11.1864 Arthur son of Thomas and Elizabeth Horton, Haughmond Demesne, gamekeeper;

[ That Demesne was the northern half of the parish, taking its name from the former demesne lands of Haughmond Abbey. TH was almost certainly then employed by Revd John Dryden Corbet (formerly Pigott), owner of the Sundorne Castle estate, who had succeeded his kinswoman, Annabella, Lady Brinckman (nee Corbet) in Jan 1864. ]

Michael J Hulme

I have contacted Mr Emery.

Mike

Joe Emery

My sincere apologies to Michael Hulme and to Martyn Freeth for incompetently causing mayhem ; I do appreciate how long this research takes and I am most grateful. Certainly I did not anticipate such instant and thorough responses - which have my great admiration and thanks.

The details presented will need thorough examination before I jump again, but yes, the Thomas and Elizabeth at Wirswall from 1871 to 1901 are 'mine'. I was misled somewhat by a family tree on Ancestry that has Elizabeth MADDOX firmly married to John EMERTON in 1855 and I had not yet verified that.

I hope this is posted in the right place!   Joe Emery

Martyn Freeth

As regards the erroneous spouse, yet again "lies, damned lies, and the internet". Some sites should carry a health warning.

In taking all this forward ( = backward) you may find the Burials Index a good buy. See "Shop" icon above, but open the blurb up to see coverage to date. Prees, Wem, Moreton Say are fully covered, I believe, to 1837, but Whitchurch as with many unprinted registers, begins at present in 1813.

Thomas Horton, senior, notwithstanding 1861 Census (which I have not seen in full) may have been baptised in Cheshire.

As regards "Jessie Lawton" as witness in 1855 the signature was difficult. Might just have been an awkward Horton. Keep an open mind. Is she in a Census under either surname?

My comments on early Maddox at Coton in Wem was wrong in one particular - not a Ralph, but a Nicholas. Pedigree of Ward of Cotton / Coton in Visitation of Shropshire 1623.

Note that Prees was a peculiar probate jurisdiction. There is an old printed list of grants at Shropshire Archives. archives@shropshire.gov.uk

Joe Emery

Jessie appears as HORTON in census' 1871 to 1901. She married Joseph CHESTERS in 1901JuneQtr.Whitchurch.In 1911 at Grange Farm Wirswall Joseph 74 yrs. Jessie 61 yrs had with them Thomas HORTON 80, father-in-law,retired gamekeeper,born Ash.  Thank you once again

Martyn Freeth

Noted; but I was referring to the Jessie who was witness to the 1855 marriage, not to a child of that marriage. The coincidence of their names suggests that the identity of the former might have clues as to earlier family origins.