Thomas HEATLEY (1768-1839) Child's Ercall

14 replies [Last post]
Elaine

This is my first posting, although I've carried out some research into my family history, on and off, for the past 6 or 7 years.

My 4 x great grandfather, Thomas Heatley (1768 - 1839), moved to Child's Ercall/Eaton Upon Tern from Malpas, Cheshire sometime between 1792 and 1794. I downloaded his will and those of his brothers, John and James, from the National Archives. I also obtained copies of his children's baptisms and the deaths of my 5 x great grandparents' burials (James and Mary Heatley) from the Child's Ercall Parish Register. some years' ago. I have recently traced the family history back to 1703, in Malpas, when my 6 x great grandparents, Arthur and Anne Heatley married. They were yeomen/gentlemen farmers.

I would be interested in making contact with anyone who is researching this family. I visited Shropshire Archives, a few years' ago, and have visited my ancestors' graves at Child's Ercall, Lee Brockhurst, Newtown and Stanton Upon Hine Heath. I've used online resources, over the years, but would appreciate recommendations as to other sources I could consult to gain more information about my ancestors, during the 18th and early nineteenth centuries.

Jo Martin

Hello Elaine,my 4x grt gradfather John SLACK,died in April 1818 and a James Heatley of Lee Brockhurst appeared with John's son,Joseph(1763-1836) to be granted probate in October 1818 and to swear the estate was less than £2000, This was at the Bishop's court @ Lichfield. Any relation?

Jo

Elaine

Hello Jo; thank you for this; this particular James Heatley was my ancestor Thomas Heatley's elder brother. I can't find his date of birth, but it was before 1768, and he died in 1837. He married Martha Prince in 1795 at Lee Brockhurst. Martha appears to have had various inheritances. I downloaded James's will from the National Archives, and he describes himself as a "Gentleman", but like Thomas, he appears to have been a gentleman farmer. He inherited Wolverley Hall from his (and Thomas's) younger brother John. He also owned Tilley Grange Farm at Tilley, as well as his farm at Lee Brockhurst. All three brothers (I downloaded John's will, too) appear to have bought copyhold, freehold, leasehold and boroughhold "pieces of land". I wondered if they benefited from the Enclosure Acts?

There is a very large monument in Lee Brockhurst church yard in memory of James Heatley and his wife and children.

James's father (my 5 x great grandfather) died in 1814, aged 89 and his wife Mary died in 1822 aged 87. They were both buried at Child's Ercall. I know that they were from Malpas in Cheshire, originally, but I know very little about them. I assume they must have been reasonably wealthy and know that they and my 6 x great grandfather were yeoman/gentlemen farmers, but would be grateful for any further information.   

Thanks for the information - Elaine 

RebeccaWilce

Hi both,

Martha Heatley (nee Prince) is my 4x great Grandmother and I am interested in both the Heatleys and Princes. James Heatley (1770) and Martha had John Heatley (1810) and he married a Mary (surname unknown) and had Louisa Heatley (1836). Louisa married Edward George Harries (my 2nd Great grandfather). 

I haven't managed to get any further back than James Heatley (1770) so anything you can fill in would be much appreciated.

Rebecca

Elaine

Hi Rebecca

It seems we share 5 x great grandparents in common. James Heatley, James's father, was baptised on 15 May 1725 in Malpas, Cheshire. He married Mary Mate on 20th November, 1756, in Malpas. As mentioned above, James was buried at Child's Ercall on 7th May, 1814, aged 89 and Mary was also buried at Child's Ercall (18th March 1822) aged 87.

James's parents (our 6 x great grandparents), Arthur and Anne were married in 1703 in Malpas. Their first child, Mary, was born and, sadly, also buried in 1704. They went on to have several children before James, their youngest child, was born. Arthur was buried only 3 years' after James was born, on 16 December 1728, again, in Malpas. Anne Heatley was buried on 2 January, 1763, again, in Malpas. The township of Edge is mentioned and Arthur Heatley is referred to as a yeoman. (Sources: Find My Past and the IGI). 

I hope this helps.

Elaine

Elaine

Hi Rebecca

Further to my last posting, I thought you might be interested in the monument inscription in memory of James Heatley and Martha Prince (you can find the full text listing the various children who are buried there in "Monument Inscriptions at St. Peter's Church, LEE BROCKHURST, Shropshire, 1747 -1986", published by the Shropshire Family History Society, 1998) . The first part of the inscription reads: "In loving memory of/James [and] Martha HEATLEY died/ Jan 19th 1837/aged 77 years/Martha HEATLEY/his wife/died Dec 26 1847/aged 77 years."

I was curious about your reference to this James's date of birth, because I haven't been able to find his date of birth among the parish registers of Harthill or Malpas. I know that Thomas was born in Harthill, so  it would appear that James and Mary moved there, at some stage, from Malpas. Thomas's elder sister, Mary, was born at Harthill in 1760. If James (Lee Brockhurst) died in 1837, aged 77, I would assume that he must have been born sometime around 1760, as well. If you have found a reference to his birth, anywhere, I would be interested in this.

James and Martha were my 4 x great grandparents, too, from a different link. They were the parents of Elizabeth Heatley (baptised 1799 at Lee Brockhurst). Elizabeth must have been your John's (1810) sister. Elizabeth married her cousin Samuel (Thomas's son) in 1824 at Lee Brockhurst, and they rented Wolverley Hall from Elizabeth's father, James (d. Lee Brockhurst, 1837). 

I would also be interested in learning more about this family. Did they all leave Cheshire at the same time? I wondered why they left Cheshire? They settled on the North Shropshire plain for several generations, after their move.

I look forward to hearing from you and anyone else who has an interest in the Heatleys.

RebeccaWilce

Hi Elaine,

Thank you so much for your information. I don't think I can help you with any new information however. My birth date for James Heatley of 1770 is an estimation and not based on any source, I am afraid. I have been doing my family history for a couple of years but not in any very organised way and have  not yet had the chance to really go primary source hunting. Instead my research has been mainly internet-based or reliant on family archives which must not the most objective and were written in 1918.

My archivist was Nelson George Harries, son of Louisa Heatley 1836 - 1890 and Edward George Harries 1837 -1905. Louisa was John and Mary Heatley's daughter, grand daughter of James and Martha. Nelson's Family history of the Harries' mentions the Heatleys with a view to their pedigree; namely that Martha was a Prince, possibly a descendant of Richard PRYNCE of Whitehall, Shrewsbury. I have yet to find a link however.  He does not mention the Heatley's connection to Cheshire. As Louisa died when he was young perhaps he did not get the opportunity to find out. Nelson's brother, Herbert Frederick Harries is my Great Grandfather.

Having said that, I have been to the Shropshire archives in Shrewsbury and do have some time on my hands this summer to delve deeper. I was fascinated to hear about the Monument inscriptions to James and Martha Heatley and think a trip to Lee Brockhurst is in order.

As to why the Heatleys moved from Cheshire to Shropshire, I too am very curious. It is these questions that make this sort of research so interesting. I too would like to find out more about the family.

RebeccaWilce

Elaine,

Visited Shropshire Archives last week and was able to read the Monumental Inscription for James and Martha Heatley. I also went through the parish records for Moreton Corbet. They seemed to have lots of children, many who didn't make it past infancy. 

I would like to find out more about Thomas Heatley's descendants (brother of James and John) and in particular Samuel Heatley and Elizabeth Heatley. Can we continue 'off board' and if so how do I contact you?

Best wishes,

Becky

Elaine

Hello Becky

Many thanks for this. Yes- let's continue this discussion off-board.

With reference to the properties James, John and Thomas owned, I would be most grateful if any researcher reading this posting could tell me how I could find out where James and Thomas lived? I know that James owned farms at Tilley Green and at Lee Brockhurst, but I don't know which farm he lived in. Similarly, I know John left Eaton Grange to Thomas, which he left to his son, John. One of Thomas's other sons, Richard, owned Dodecote Farm. Thomas owned land in Child's Ercall and at Eaton Upon Tern. He and his wife, Sarah, both died at Eaton. Thomas's death certificate states that he died falling out of a gig on his estate at Eaton. Again, if anyone could tell me how to find out which farm, I would be most grateful, as the wills do not make this clear.   

Thank you

Elaine

Michael J Hulme

Hello Elaine

If your family were farming in the late 1830's or early 1840's then it is fairly easy to establish exactly which farms they owned and/or occupied by reference to the Tithe Maps and accompanying Apportionment.

The originals are kept at the Diocesan Record Office, which for north Shropshire is at Lichfield with film copies at Shropshire Archives I think. Shropshire Archives can also supply you with copies of the maps (for a small fee) and these are known as Field Name Maps with every field named and numbered. Best bought at the Archives so you know your are getting the correct one(s).

To Rebecca

If you would like to edit your "My Account" (top right of screen) to include your email address then the site administration can pass it on to Elaine.

Mike

Elaine

Thank you very much for this, Mike. I will get in touch with Shropshire Archives.

Elaine

hpurslow

Hi Elaine.  I believe I have Heatleys from Childs Ercal as well but have always had the impression they did not have much.  It would appear my Heatleys are as follows:

John Heatley and Elizabeth

Charles Heatlley (bc 1846 Loppington) and Elizabeth

Thomas Heatley (bc 1777 Wem) and Mary Turner (bc 1792 Childs Ercal)

Thomas Heatley (bc 1813 Childs Ercal) and Sarah Darlington (bc 1812 Wem)

Sarah Darlington Heatley (bc 1836) and Thomas Henry Purslow (bc 1840 Minsterley)

My line is from Thomas Henry Purslow.

I  find Thomas Heatley and wife Sarah Darlington Heatley in the 1841 census at Loppington but not thereafter.  I thought perhaps the Thomas and Sarah Heatley at Eaton in 1851 was them but it look doubtful based on your information.  Any ideas for me to pursue.  Thanks.  Harry Purslow, Ashland, Oregon USA

hpurslow

Becky and Elaine.  My Thomas Heatley, bc 1813 Childs Ercal married Sarah Darlington (bc Jan 5, 1812 Loppington) on December 26, 1831 at Newton, Shropshire.  It appears that Thomas and Sarah had the following children:  Mary, Thomas, Sarah Darlington, Ann, Elizabeth (Betsey), Abraham, Martha, John Turner, Robert Job, William and Richard.  Abraham and Robert Job died in infancy.  Based on these children, I have always felt that the Thomas and Sarah Heatley enumerated at Eaton in 1851 along with children Ann, Elizabeth (Betsey), Martha, John Turner, William and Richard are part of my family of Heatleys.  Because my Thomas Heatley and wife Sarah had a son John Turner Heatley, I have always been fairly confident that Thomas Heatley was the son of Thomas Heatley (1777 - 1839) and Mary Turner (1792 - after 1871) of Childs Ercal who married November 15, 1813.   As an aside to this I also believe that Ann Heatley, daughter of Thomas and Sarah was a milk maid, per the 1861 census for Childs Ercal, at the farm of James and Martha Prince Heatley.  Ann married Richard Leake.  Anyhow, I  would sure like to hear from you to see if we have a connection.  Thanks.  Harry Purslow, Ashland, Oregon USA

Elaine

Hi Harry, thank you for getting in touch. I agree that it does look likely that there has to be a connection, somewhere, as Eaton and Child's Ercall are such small places. I was interested when you mentioned Newton. There is a small church there, where I am sure my ancestors Samuel (Thomas's son) and his wife Elizabeth must have worshipped, because it is only about a mile from Wolverley Hall, where they lived from 1824 until the early 1840's.

My Thomas Heatley married Sarah Lea on 4th April 1788 in Malpas in Cheshire. Their first 3 children, John (1788), Mary (1790) and Thomas (1792) were all born in Malpas. Their 6 younger children, Elizabeth (1794), Sarah (1796), James (1797), William (1799), Samuel(1800) and Richard (1803) were all baptised at Child's Ercall.

When I researched my nineteenth century Heatley ancestors, a few years' ago, I found that these Christian names were used by successive generations of Heatleys and by siblings and cousins for their children, so it took some unravelling, in terms of cross-referencing census entries and sending away for BMD certficates. This does lead me to think there may be a connection between your ancestors and mine. At the moment, I can't unravel what it is, but will add to this post if I do, as I hope you will, too. 

I do remember coming across a Thomas Heatley of Loppington, in the past, when I looked through the access 2 archives site, and I believe he purchased some land. I would imagine this Thomas Heatley must be either your Thomas Heatley or one of his ancestors. Thanks - Elaine

Mel horne

Hi Elaine,
My family also have connections to Wolverley Hall . Joseph and Margaret Cooke were there in 1851 I don't know if they had any links to the Heatleys or were tenants. Does any one have any more information on where the Cookes came from? I think Joseph was born in Ellesmere.
Thanks
Mel