St Mary's Infant School Bridgnorth in the 1920s

6 replies [Last post]
planehome

I am researching for my mother-in-law, Josie, and she has a connection from 1925 to St Mary's Infant School in Bridgnorth and, in particular, a teacher named Mary Ethel BLACKSHAW.

Josie would love to know of any photographs or general information available from this time period (1925) in Bridgnorth.

Thank you, Pete 

Gwynne Chadwick

Hi Pete,

From my extensive Bridgnorth records, I do have approx. ten photographs taken during the 1920’s of pupils at the former St Mary’s School, Hospital Street, Bridgnorth. Some photographs feature boy football teams and some don’t identify the individuals by name. However, I could email copies if required. One example is shown below.

The original school closed in December 1965 and the pupils relocated to a new school in Lodge Lane, Bridgnorth. The site of the former school is now occupied by the Job Centre.

I note that on the 1921 census, Mary Ethel BLACKSHAW was recorded as an Elementary School Teacher at St Mary’s Infant School, Bridgnorth. Married, age 31 years from Burton on the Wolds, living at No.3 High Street, Bridgnorth.

Hope that helps.

Gwynne

planehome

Gwynne

Thank you so much for the reply.  The photos would be great to see. My email is planehome@aol.com.

Yes, Mary Ethel Blackshaw was a teacher at the school, although she was born in Loughborough. I just wondered whether there might be class photos out there including the teachers (long shot I know). 

Best wishes

Pete

Gwynne Chadwick

Hi Pete,
Glad to help. Seven photographs sent via email, more to follow later.
I had hoped that finding the marriage of Mary would result in a photograph of her but the 24th August 1917 edition of The Loughborough Echo only had this article.
Gwynne

planehome

Hello Gwynne

Thank you for this image - I had searched for further marriage information but not found any.  Her husband is clearly English (family from Mansfield) but he had emigrated to Canada around 1915, only to join the Canadian military and be sent straight back to England !  Sadly, it would appear that the marriage did not last, with mary Ethel living alone in Bridgnorth in 1921 and and her husband later remarrying.

Thank you so much for your help.

Pete

Michael J Hulme

Hello Pete

Have you found the husband in the records of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) available on the Library and Archives Canada web site?

Mike

planehome

Thank you for the link, Michael.  I hadn't found this and... yes, found the man I was looking for which is fabulous.

Best wishes

Pete