Shawbury/Moreton Corbett School - Photographs of pupils 1900 to 1925

3 replies [Last post]
michaeltench

Hi My maternal line of GOODFELLOW hail from Shawbury from 1868 and my grandfather was William Henry GOODFELLOW b1870 and he married Sarah Ann DAVIES in Moreton Corbett in 1896.

They had 12 children from 1896 to 1915 and they lived first in Moerton Corbett, then Dark Lane on outskirts of Preston Brockhurst, then Sandy Lane, Shawbury and finally Park Farm Cottages on way out of Shawbury past the Church.

I wonder if there are any photographs of the pupils of either Moreton Corbett or Shawbury Schools in the years 1901 through to 1925. I am particularly looking for the years of 1906 -1915 for Shawbury School.

Many thanks

Michael Tench

Michael J Hulme

Hello Michael

It is always worth trying the local schools in the hope they may something.  Don't forget the School Admission Registers because they have lots of useful dates, places, etc.  Also, don't forget to check Shropshire Archives - they have a large collection of photographs.

I know someone who's parents lived in Shrawbury about the right time but I won't be able to contact this person for a couple of weeks so check back later.

Mike

michaeltench

Michael.

Thanks for your advice and I will try the school. I have already looked at the School Admission Registers and they have probably partly solved a long time mystery of mine in that my maternal grandparents are in the 1911 census in Shawbury but not in 1901. Now they married in 1896 and had 3 children before 1901 and they are missing from the census totally. I have trawled the complete area without any luck. The schools registers show my "Goodfellow" Uncles and Aunts moving to Moreton Corbett School with their address being Dark Lane near Preston Brockhurst in 1905. Now this is a small lane running from opposite the Stanton turn by the Acton Reynald School and it runs towards Grinshill and it has just one farm cottage on it which is almost hidden from the road so maybe they were just missed by the enumerators. I remember now my mother telling me that someone lived there and I think she said her parents so it all fits.

I would be grateful if you could ask your friend about the school photographs when you have a moment please.

Many thanks Michael Tench

Michael J Hulme

Hello Michael

I am sorry to say I have not been able to come up with any photographs for you.  My neighbour doesn't have any so she tried her cousin but that has also drawn a blank.

Mike