PUGH of Dawley Magna, c 1841

6 replies [Last post]
Barbara Fletcher

I am looking for any information about my Great Grandfather Mark Pugh born 1841 in Dawley Magna, and his Parents Richard Pugh and Susannah Pugh (nee Bailey).

Many Thanks,

Barbara

Gena Dodd Nee W...

Do you have all the census on him and his family or are you looking further back .  Found all the census up to 1911.  Know he married a Mary Ann Lea or Sargent,  If you would like this info let me know.

Barbara Fletcher

Hello Gena,

Many thanks for your comments re Mark Pugh and Mary Ann Lea - Their marriage in 1868 at St. George's  Church, Wolverhampton, is to Mary Ann and not Sargent. I do have all the Census years on him up to 1911, and yes I am looking further back now beyond his Father, Richard Pugh and I have hit a brick wall on the Welsh Border, Richard was married to Susannah Bailey, and her Mother was a member of the Pitchford family. All of these appear to have been born in the Dawley Magna District. As for Mary Ann Lea, my grt. grandmother, she was born in 1841 Nobold, in Shropshire and died in 1942 in Derbyshire, 101 yrs of age. But prior to her marriage to Mark in 1868, I am struggling to pinpoint her life before that, as LEA is a very common name in and around Wellington, where she has stated that her Father Thomas Lea lived, again I am struggling as she was living in Wolverhampton prior to her marriage.

Regards

Barbara

Dave E

Hi Barbara

Found this on Family Search

Richard Pugh marriage to Sussannah Bailey ln Dawley Magna 1830 also a birth in 1803 in Dawley Magna of a Richard Pugh parents Thomas and Jane don,t Know if this helps

Cheers Dave

Martyn Freeth

If Mary Ann said at one point that she was born at Nobold might I suggest that you look at the Mary Ann LEE born (per FreeBMD) March quarter 1841 in Shrewsbury District, which then included the parish of Meole Brace, in which roughly half of Nobold lay.

This is the nearest match that I can see, and nothing similar for Wellington District.

No doubt you may now try for her under that spelling with a father Thomas in Meole Brace in 1851 Census. (Cannot help from home but from index can that there is at least one Mary Ann LEE born 1841 somewhere in Shropshire).

Barbara Fletcher

Hello Dave,

Many thanks for responding to my message with regard to the Pugh family. Thomas Pugh appears to have married a Jane Owen and had two children Richard & Sarah. Richard married Susannah Bailey and I have found a marriage for Sarah to a Samuel Pinner. I think you have found the right Thomas & Jane, but have I found the correct maiden name of Owen for Jane!

Thomas Pugh appears to have been born C1776 but is the birth in Dawley Magna? I am unable to go any further back, and not sure if I am on the right track. 

If you have any more ideas on this I would like to hear from you. Once again Thank You.

Regards,

Barbara

Barbara Fletcher

Hello Martyn,

Re;- Mary Ann Lea

Many thanks for your help, I am still investigating your helpful comments re Mary Ann and her Father Thomas, and one of her brothers, named also Thomas who she mentioned in the newspaper report on one of her Birthdays that he was in the 15th Hussars. Thank you for your suggestions to follow up.

Kind Regards,

Barbara