Olive DORRICOTT died 1935 buried at Battlefield church

2 replies [Last post]
Ben Haddock

Dear all,

I am looking for information on Olive DORRICOTT who died on 26/01/1935 aged 19.

She is buried in Battlefield churchyard near Shresbury.

Her parents were Charles and Eliza Dorricott. 

I believe they were married in 1901 at Higher Broughton St James in Salford District Lancs (from Lancashire BMD) If so then her mother's maiden name would be MAPP.

Based on the above, Olive was born in 1916 in the Chorlton district of Lancashire and her family must have moved to Shropshire at some point prior to her death.

Unusually, the BMD transcript for Olive lists her age at death at 18 not 19 with year of birth 1917...

If anybody out there knows anything more about Olive or what happened to the rest of family I would be most grateful. Perhaps somebody who knew her is still alive? 

Thank you all for any help you can offer. 

Kind regards,

Ben

Michael J Hulme

Hello

I presume you are aware that there is a gravestone for Olive at Battlefield in the north east part of the churchyard adjacent to the path from the Lych Gate.

Looking at the National Probate Calendar on Ancestry it appears that her father died 16 Aug 1954 when his address was Rose Cottage, Battlefield. Probate was granted to Eliza Jane DORRICOTT widow and Harry Redvers PASSEY railway clerk.

I would guess that Harry was their son-in-law because he married Marjorie DORRICOTT in 1932 in the Atcham Reg. Dist. which would include the area around Shrewsbury.

There is one DORRICOTT family living in the Battlefield area at present but they are not related.

Mike

Ben Haddock

Hello sir,

Thank you for your reply. 

Believe it or not I was at the grave only yesterday - though now my holiday is over and I'm back home it seems longer! God Willing I will be going back to Shrewsbury in a few weeks so I will pop back again and this time I hope to get the key for the church from the deli. I haven't been inside for years. I will look to see if Charles' grave is at Battlefield too. 

I think Eliza may have passed away in 1974, by which time she would've been quite an old lady I imagine. I will have to double check...

I now know Olive had at least one sibling - so that's very interesting. Atcham was the same district where Olive's death was registered only 3 years later.

Redvers is a good name, after the Boer War general I guess...don't hear that one much these days.

How funny that there is now an unrelated Dorricott family in the same area - I would've thought it such an uncommon name... 

I am very grateful for your help. 

Kindest regards,

Ben