MITTON, Martha B abt1820

4 replies [Last post]
surfingdevil

Hello all.

I'm currently researching my 3x great grandmother Martha (MITTON).  She was married to George MITTON (1818-1889).  I don't know what her maiden name was as I haven't found marriage info yet.  I have just found George's death & probate info, but as I cannot find her death! I have found one with same details as George and it's the same year! Atcham, Shrop volume 6a, p 419 for Martha and vol 6a p428 for George!  I know George's is correct as his probate mentions a John RAINFORD and that makes sense as John was his son-in-law.  But I cannot find any probate info for her, so cannot confirm this!  

What do I do? Can anyone help?? I have probably missed some info somewhere along the line - always the way!

My Great grandma was Elizabeth MITTON1866-1952.  smiley

PhilPoole

Hi,You've got the right George as he appears on 1881 Census (with his wife Martha) living with his son-in-law John RAINFORD. Also I found George & Martha on 1851 and 1861 Census  living in Castle Gates, Shrewsbury as a Shoe Maker. Also eventually found them in 1841 Census living in Bayston, parish of St Julian, Shrewsbury.  I haven't found them in 1871 Census, but if you look on familysearch website you will find baptism of their son Henry at Swan Independent Chapel, Shrewsbury  stating he was born on 24th June 1841. The 1841 Census was taken 2 weeks earlier on 6th June. Interestingly I haven't found birth record for Henry on FreeBMD, as I would suggest you get birth certificate for him to find out Martha's maiden name. You could try getting birth certificate for one of their other children to determine Martha's maiden name. As Henry was baptised in a Chapel then it's possible they married likewise, so finding marriage record in Registers could be difficult. The only marriage record I've found for a George MITTON is to a Martha Evans (Apr-Jun 1840 District Clun Vol. 23 Page 89). The District doesn't match with Martha's birthplace of Hadnall, but fits with Martha's age and birth of Henry 12 months later. I'd guess that the following is most likely death record for Martha ,as it fits with age of 69 yrs (i.e. born c. 1820) : Oct-Dec 1889 District Atcham Vol. 6a Page 419, but death certificate won't give her maiden name. Finally some websites on Swan Chapel that you might find interesting: http://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/ShrewsburySwanHill.html             http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/Shrewsbury/   http://www.users.waitrose.com/~coxfamily/shrewswn.htm                                                              Best of luck with further research, Phil

surfingdevil

Thankyou for this.  I have struggled to find Henry's birth record also, and the 1871 census record is a mystery also.  I will keep on searching, but thank you for the other info. Its a great help. We will see what crops up.

regards

Miranda

PhilPoole

Hi Miranda, I eventually found George & Martha on 1871 Census on Ancestry website, but wrongly transcribed on their index as MILTON. By 1871 George had switched from Shoemaker to Stationer, and still living in Castle Gates. My suggestion is that you order birth certificate of one of their children to determine Martha's maiden name. Then search for marriage of George & Martha, which should give you name of Martha's father. Then you're pre-1837 so will need to search Parish Registers or familysearch.org website to find ancestry of Martha. I took a look at familysearch.org for births of Martha in 1819-1821, but nothing came up for Hadnall, which she consistently recorded as birthplace on the Census records. The closest I could get geographically were the following two baptisms in Battlefield, and given Battlefield and Hadnall are adjoining parishes they're a possibility for your Martha. But first you need the birth record of Martha's child to determine her maiden
surname.

Martha NEWNES
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

birth: 17 September 1820 
christening: 22 October 1820 BATTLEFIELD,SHROPSHIRE,ENGLAND
father:Thomas NEWNES
mother:Martha

Martha HEWLETT
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

birth: 24 June 1817 
christening: 25 June 1820 BATTLEFIELD,SHROPSHIRE,ENGLAND
father:Richard HEWLETT
mother:Catharine                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Regards Phil

surfingdevil

Ok Phil, thats great.  Well done on finding the mispelled Mitton (Milton) name.  It apparently seems to be  a normal misprint for many Mittons!! I have ordered Martha's daughter's birth cert as I cannot find Henry listed! I will take it from there.  The NEWNES surname looks the closest, only because of the date but we will soon see!

Thank you again

best regards Miranda