Mary Elizabeth ROBINSON (d 1929)

6 replies [Last post]
PaulR

My grandfather's first wife died aged 33 at Oswestry and her death was registered in the December quarter (6a 694). I doubt that they had much money as he was injured in the war and they had one young child.

I think that she was born at 'Vine Cottages' (which may be at Weston Rhyn) and they may have been living there when she died.

Can anyone suggest the best place to start looking for a grave?

Many thanks

Paul

angela35

There is a local Weston Rhyn Community site, so why don't you contact them? http://www.community-online.co.uk/forums/index.php?/forum/8-weston-rhyn-... Also, Weston Rhyn was part of OSWESTRY from 1895-2005 according to www.freebmd.org so if she died OSWESTRY area might be worth trying there. Angela

angela35

What was her maiden name and I will search Ancestry to see if any other family members are on the site.

PaulR

Thanks Angela. I've been a member of Ancestry for several years - my subscription ended a couple of months ago and as far as I know there wasn't anyone else looking at this particular branch up until then.

Her maiden name was Davies (ugh!) and she was born towards the end of 1896. In 1901 I think she is at Castle Street, Oswestry with her mother (of the same name) and siblings.

Many thanks

Paul

angela35

I never pay subscription to Ancestry now, too expensive, but buy this CD Rom every 6 months from Amazon which gives 6 months free subscription. Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum

Kenbro

Hi Paul.  I am 84 and visited Oswestry back in the 1930's and 40's.  Vine Cottages were very small rows of working folks homes off the Rope Walk off Beatrice Street.  That whole area was demolished in the 1960's and is now council flats. Albert Road is still there, and I think that Vine Cottages were behind Albert Road on the Castle side.    Many poor folk were buried in the Oswestry Cemetery in unmarked graves.  Some of my family were interred like that.  If you know the approximate date of the death someone at the Cemetery or at the Council Offices may be able to help.

If you can get a map of Oswestry around 1950 or before it should show Vine Cottages.  Oswestry Library would be a good place to start for that.

Kenbro

Incidentally Paul, I have Robinsons in my Oswestry tree too.   Coming from William Robinson Born 1814 in Whaplode Lincs.  His daughter Jane married John Lincoln my G Grandfather in 1868 in Holbeach.  They then moved to Oswestry in the poultry business.   The business was on Coney Green.  The building is still there.    Jane had several brothers and sisters.  I don't know if any of her brothers moved to Oswestry.

May be no connection to your Robinson, but the Lincolns lived next door to Vine Cottages.