Maiden name for Ann WILLIAMS (c1754)

2 replies [Last post]
Ian PMP

Hello everyone:

I’m writing from Brisbane, Australia and this is my first time in the forum. I’ve just discovered I have Shropshire roots and have already hit a snag in my research.

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me to confirm the maiden name of Ann WILLIAMS who (according to the marriage bond document for her second marriage to Richard AYRES of Kidderminster in Oswestry) was a 29 year old widow on 26 Apr 1783. There is a possible candidate in FS but I’m not 100% certain she is the right Ann.

I’m assuming the surname WILLIAMS that she used when marrying Richard was the surname of her first husband, who I further assume died shortly before the 1783 marriage.

Thanks in advance for any help. I should be able to make some progress once I get that name.

Best regards, Ian

Michael J Hulme

Hello Ian

You can view the actual marriage entry on the Find my Past (subscription) web site in their collection of Shropshire documents. If you don't have a subscription try your local library or archives - they may have a subscription. Search for Shropshire Marriages and then Richard AYRES and the date.

I see that the marriage was witnessed by Richard COTTON and Robert CONWAY but Robert CONWAY also witnessed several other marriages so he was probably a Church Warden or similar.  It is a long shot but it might be worth exploring the possibility that Richard COTTON was a relative.

The Oswestry Library has a card index of names from their local newspaper.  You could send a similar email to them to ask if they can see an entry in the newspaper index that might be connected with your family.

Did Ann have any children from her first marriage?  If so, their birth years should give you a clue as to the date of her first marriage and the date her first husband died but I fear you have a difficult task with this.

All the best.

Michael

Ian PMP

Thanks for your reply Michael, very kind of you.

I’m scratching my head with this one. Usually I can find the info I need but as you said this is a difficult one.

A couple of questions back to you and the forum if I may …

1. I have used FS to produce a set of several possible husband/ wife names (the wife has her birth year in the correct range, the husband has his death year in the correct range, and their marriage date falls within the proper timeframe). Would you be aware of any other records apart from the newspaper name index you suggested, that would show Ann’s maiden name in the context of, for example, her first husband’s death?

2. As I was writing the above I had another look at the marriage bond for Ann and her second husband and I’ve just noticed something for the first time. I can’t work out how to attach the image of the record here unfortunately so I’ll describe it. There are three 3 signatures at the bottom. On the right is that of Richard Ayres the (second) husband and the mark of the Bondsman Thos. Austin. On the left is a signature of Jn. Evans (I think). Is it possible that he was the father of the bride? Or would it be just someone who was acting as a witness. Because I have an Ann Evans in my list of possible candidates. Several Ann Evans actually (unfortunately!).

3. Also, on that same document at the top is some information relating to the Bondsman. The handwritten part says “Richard Ayres of Kidderminster in ? County of Worcester & Thos. Austin Master of the Poor House in ? of Oswestry”. Would the FHS have any information relating to the poorhouse in Oswestry in 1783, for example, a list of inmates? Because it is possible that Ann was living there following the death of her husband and there might be some record of her name.

4. And would you have any idea how someone who has travelled from a different county to find or reacquaint with a prospective bride would be able to get the master of the Oswestry poorhouse to agree to take on the hefty financial responsibility of being his bondsman?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions.

Looking forward to hearing back from yourself and/or the forum. Thanks.
Regards, Ian