John WILLIAMS 1822(ish) Ellesmere m Martha JONES 1817(ish) Newcastle

6 replies [Last post]
cockberryhall

John Williams married Martha Jones at Wem in Apr-May-Jun 1841....they lived in Whitchurch from the time they married....1881 is the last time on the census at the Queens Head, Yardington St.....Trying to find John Williams family before he married, its says he was born in Ellesmere....also if Martha's Family were living in Shropshire.....if anyone can help will be most grateful....Debi

david64

First step would be to view their marrige record. Continuing without doing will lead to a tree full of errors.

You can order the cert. for £9 (unless it's gone up) from:

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/registrar.nsf/open/39D35A88B90FA2F2802570F100513442

I use them rather than the GRO as it's quicker. Or you can also view microfiche of the registers at Shropshire Archives, Shrewsbury.

However, you should proceed with caution as there is another record that may conflict with this. See below:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NN7K-8FL

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NNQW-YJD

N.B. If you are a newcomer to research it is important to note FamilySearch is not a substitute for original records.

cockberryhall

Hi........Thats what I was worried about..........All my past family seem to be either John, Mary or Martha, so when I look at a marriage certificate it does not help at all if the is another 5 families with the same surname and first name in the same area.........I recheck and recheck even the census I check to find everyone born with in a 5 year period with the surname and then follow the census back and forward to make sure I'm on the right line before ordering anything...but it was just my luck that they got married just before the census......I'm very lucky that I know from family quite away back but I need to go into Wales with the right Williams, to go back to Scotland to find the marriage to a Monro up in the highlands...... Thanks for your help....I use all three sites...findmypast etc and check each one to make sure the information is the same etc but with Williams, Jones, Brown etc its a nightmare.....Debi

angela35

On IGI parents COULD be William Williams and ANNE

JOHN WILLIAMS
Pedigree
  Male    

Event(s):
Birth: 
Christening: 
19 MAY 1822   Ellesmere, Shropshire, England
Death: 
Burial: 

Parents:
  Father:  WILLIAM WILLIAMS
  Mother:  ANNE  

Only couple with marr near to that date is
30 December 1817 Ellesmere to Ann Parker.
You will need to buy marr cert to verify Fathers name firstly though. If fathers occupation is AGR LABOURER at time of Johns marriage , then it is probably them ( although lots of men were that too !!!) . I looked then on findmypast and the only one with a wife called Anne is William Williams born 1796, living Ellesmere with 2 young children. So, do check this out, and let me know.
Angela

cockberryhall

Thank you very much.......i will order the marriage cert this week.............on some notes my mum gave me back in the 80s it says william williams but it was so long ago  and as you know they seem to call all their children john and william.......with a common surname like that its like looking for a needle in a haystack....thank you so much.....i had gave up on the williams for a while.....its the one family side i need to follow back as my mother was told this story by her granny which was over eighty years ago as my mother is 86 now and her mind has gone so she now cannot help me unless she is having a good day which is not very often.........a williams from wales married a Monro from the highlands of Scotland who was heiress to a estate.....she was disowned by her father but the mother kept on sending money to her.......my mother gran entered into a court cases to get the estate back when it was going to be passed to a cousin but the solicitor died who was fighting the case (he was a  friend of the family) and they could not afford to keep fighting  as they had 11 children......so grateful you have made me get going again....Debi

angela35

Oh good, I'm glad. If you look at all of the WILLIAM'S in ELLESMERE ,  for roughly that time, you will see in 1841, there is only 1 with wife ANNE, only thing is on the 1841 it says that WILLIAM WILLIAMS was not born in Shropshire although it says that wife and 2 children were so wait and see. In 1851 they are still living ELLESMERE and it says that he was born Denbigyshire, and she was born Bashchurch, Shropshire.

cockberryhall

Hello

Had the cert come this morning and i am so pleased...........john williams father is william williams and he is a Wheelwright which is great......martha jones father is william jones and he is a mail driver which is even better as not many of them around.....the 2 who sign the marriage cert is even better as its james taylor and p.m.king so they should be easy to find aswell.....no birth date for either john or martha so they did not know when they were born also they have just put a cross for their names....no job for martha and john was a sawyer and they were both living at the High Street Newtown.....thanks for getting me going.....

Debi