John HAYWARD, Whitchurch, Shropshire 1736

3 replies [Last post]
djgosling

Hello ,

I feel I have 2 families mixed up here, so any help would be very welcome.

I have a Charles HAYWARD born 1799 in Shrewsbury, he married a Mary REDDROPE in Market Drayton on the 15/01/1818. it appears that Mary died and I have found a Mary HAYWARD buried in Norton in Hayles 18/08/1827.

Charles married again - Charlotte CLEWS on the 04/12/1827 in Norton Hayles, she was 12 years younger then Charles. Would Charles have married this soon after Mary's death??

I have Charles parents as Charles HAYWARD c. 22/11/1767 in Moreton Say, who married Ann SHERRATT on the 05/01/1792 at Adderley Parish Church.

Now this MAY be where it goes wrong Charles (1767) parents I have as John and Margaret, but there is also another John (or same one) who married Ann GOSLING on the 30/01/1757 in Moreton Say.

I may have been distracted by the name GOSLING and attracted to that - due to my own surname being GOSLING.

Any help gratefully received, thank you

Bootlanesue

I have Charles HAYWARD in my family.  He was baptised 1799 at Moreton Say and I think died there in 1861.    

His parents were Charles and Ann SHERRATT/SKERRAT.  Charles was baptised at Moreton Say in 1767 the son of John and Margaret.  John was baptised in Moreton Say in 1724 the son of Matthew and Mary.  Matthew came from Wem.

I don't have any more info on Charles b1799 and hadn't found a marriage for him, so your info has helped me.

deePeye

Hi,

Have one or both of you perhaps cross checked the registers as transcribed via Mel Lockie's excellent work and most helpfully available site? :

http://www.melocki.org.uk/index.html

If not, scroll down his index clicking on "Shropshire" then under "Lichfield Diocese" column you will find the Moreton Say registers.  My own search there proved immensely helpful as I found earliest references to two brothers appearing in the parish (one being my direct ancestor), both marrying and naming subsequent first sons after each other.  A recipe for confusion!  Their families remained in the area for around four generations and I have thanks to Mel's work, been able to see clearly who belonged to each branch.

David

djgosling

Thank you for all your help - I think I was seduced into the John Hayward and Ann Goslin marriage - Gosling being my own surname.

Now I realise that Charles parents were John Hayward and Margaret - though I cannot find the marriage anywhere. You say John was baptised in 1724, just worried that his children didn't arrive until 1764, seems rather late in life at 40 :)

Also I believe therre were 4 children Andrew, Ann (1764), Thomas (1765) and Charles (1767), I have no other information regarding Andrew except his death in 1776 - everything happened in Moreton Say.

Thank you again

Dave