John DAVIES born c1822 Shropshire.

2 replies [Last post]
Bumper

John DAVIES born 1822 Shropshire. ( Wife not confirmed.)

1871 England Census.

• John DAVIES Head age 49. Widower. Occupation: Puddler. Born Shropshire.

No baptism found.

Had a son William born 1864 in Staffordshire.

William Married on 12 April 1885 at St. Mark’s Church, Bolton to Elizabeth WRIGLEY.

Any help appreciated - I am researching Davies family for my elderly cousin.

Thanks, Bumper.                                                                                                                                                                 

SFHS WebMaster

For those thinking of looking into John DAVIES (of whom there were 7 aged 49 from Shropshire in 1871!) I believe Bumper is interested in the one born Horse Hays (sic), SAL, living at 9 Swansea Terrace, Ashton, LAN. The children are aged 20 b Wolverhampton, 19 b Scotland, 14/12 & 7 b Bradford, so it looks like he was quite migrant.

hpurslow

Hi Bumper. I have a note that suggests John DAVIES bc 1822 is the son of Edward DAVIES and Elizabeth MADDOX. However, both were born in the early 1770s so having a son in 1822 might be unusual. At the same time they apparently had a son John bc 1810 that made it to adulthood so all this is questionable. My interest comes from an Anne DAVIES bc June 1808 who married John PURSLOW in 1835. I can't say for certain but I have always thought Edward DAVIES and Elizabeth MADDOX were the parents of Ann. I show Edward and Elizabeth in the 1841 census for Pontesbury and Edward with John PURSLOW and wife Ann in the 1851 census at Minsterley. As a DAVIES researcher I wonder if you have anything on Edward DAVIES. According to the 1851 census he was born about 1775 in Church Stoke, Montgomeryshire. Harry Purslow