James ROBINSON, c1766 Shrewsbury

4 replies [Last post]
anonymous (not verified)

From previous SFHS MessageBoard

I have my gt gt gt grandfather William Robinson born 26.8.1796, bapt 4.9.1796 St Chads, Shrewsbury to a James Robinson C1766 and a Jane??? The family were living at Hills Lane, Shrewsbury in Sept 1795.

Any info on the family would be very much appreciated, particularly interested in Jane<q>s Maiden name and when they were married.
Thank you.

Denise Torney d.torney@blueyonder.co.uk

Martyn Freeth

Denise, marriages at St Chad's and St Mary's, Shrewsbury in the latter 18th century are probably still missing from the IGI, even though those registers to 1812 have long been in print. Tey can be found in Boyd's Marriage Index for Shropshire, copy at Archives. If it is not there, it may perhaps have been at one of the other three town parishes (transcripts at Archives). I may look in Boyd for you at a future visit. (Been busy, unasked, on your Harrises today - will post below later on).

Just wonder how you know that James was born about 1766. 1841 Census? Or how you know of Hills Lane in Sep 1795.

Do you know of the index to the Shrewsbury Burgess Rolls? Published in 1924 by H E Forrest. A family of Robinson appears therein, starting with a Thomas, glover, who was admitted in 1598, son of John of Almington (N E Staffs). Not all generations are shown. 1796 was a bumper year for men to claim burgesship by descent, and thereby the right of Parliamentary voting, wherever resident), as rival branches of the landed Hills (Attingham and Hawkstone) were contesting the election and money was being splashed out with abandon.

A James R was one, then a miner at Preston Boats (parish of Upton Magna, where via a "parent" search of IGI I see that a James and Jane had a child bap in 1795 - coincidence or the same couple?).

Also William of Hills Lane, innholder.

I think it worth your while to ask Archives for a copy of the page (256).

Martyn Freeth

Martyn Freeth

Almington is next due east of Market Drayton, in (old) parish of Mucklestone, whose regs start in 1555.

Martyn Freeth

SFHS WebMaster (not verified)

Information was given to me by a GR member who is connected to the same family and I wanted to check the information out.
My gt gt grandfather was James Robinson Born 1826 Wolverhampton. His father IS William Robinson who lists his POB as Shrewsbury in 1851 census (transcribed "Willm) living at Civil Parish of West Bromwich with wife Caroline (nee Benton). GR member said "Robinson family were living in Hills Lane, Shrewsbury at time of Baptism, not known when William moved to Wolverhampton" William was baptised 4.9.1796 St Chads, Shrewsbury and born 26.8.1796. He names his father as James Robinson C1766 Shrewsbury who was married to Jane (surname unknown C1770). In 1861 William gives his occupation as Shoe maker. I am not sure if my contact has a copy of William and Caroline's marriage certificate to connect him to James, but I would imagine he has the baptism details.

This is all I have, I'm afraid. I agree, it may well be work looking at the info you have found.  I am hoping to get to Shrewsbury record offices (to follow up my Palmer's of Culmington) in June sometime, so can do this at the same time.
Thank you.

Denise Torney d.torney@blueyonder.co.uk

Martyn Freeth

Despite the skelton info in the burgess rolls index I now fear that these Robinsons are not going to be easy.
Could not find James' marriage today in the Boyd index, the SFHS marriage index or by searching tem/s transcripts of the three unprinted Shrewsbury parishes from 1790 or earlier.
Tere was no further info, such as residence or occupation for that 1795 bap at Upton Magna.

My current hunch is that James and William, possibly cousins, came into the town to take advantage of their burgess rights at that election, and possibly moved out again. Eg, no sign of further issue by a parent search of IGI, though an infant James was buried at St Chad's in 1797, parents unnamed.
The rolls suggest residence of earlier Robinsons to the east of Shrewsbury, such as at Donnington (not Donington) in or near Lilleshall and at Leighton.

Martyn Freeth