Hugh LEE of Shropshire 1609

8 replies [Last post]
LeeNC

My dad and I have been doing research on our LEE Family genealogy which we believe traces back to Shropshire. We have traced back to a Hugh LEE that we believe was born about 1609 in Shropshire, came to America in early 1600s. He appears to have died in Virginia and had a son, Hugh LEE 2 who was born about 1645 (but this too is hard to verify). Does anyone have research on this Hugh LEE or know of where I could find further information about his family in Shropshire? Thank you very much for your help.   

winnner1

Hi

There is an IGI submitted record:

Birth 15 Oct 1609, Hugh Lee, s. of Thomas Leigh Lee & Eleanor Ris. The same record states he died 1661, Northumberland, Virginia.

Hugh Lee may have married Elizabeth or Hannah Hewitt, Northumberland Virginia, there are some vague IGI and Ancestry references that you may wish to follow up. One of the links below mentions a child of Hugh's - Thomas.

The family appears to come from Morton Regis/Oswestry or Shrewsbury areas; having checked the PR's available there are plenty of ref's to the family but no mention of Hugh (unless I've overlooked it).

You may like to browse the following, they appear to be the same family:

http://members.tripod.com/charles_lee2/Lee/LeeFamily.html

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cousins4us/Lee/LeeNotes.html

Hope you can get something from this.

Regards

Geoff

Martyn Freeth

I seem to recall that this query was raised previously by a poster in USA; and that one's own response was roughly to the effect that there is seemingly no contemporary record to associate this Hugh with Shropshire; and that such Shropshire registers that have survived from around 1609 are already in the IGI as real entries (not amateur guesswork).

There were many familes of Lee / Legh / Leigh in Cheshire; and I note that one sound-looking site that comes up straightaway on a Google search [ hugh lee virginia ] suggests that he came from Tilston, which is in Cheshire. (Another site dafly puts Tilston as Tilston, Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury township, Shropshire).

As some people in US are engaged in DNA studies on families of Lee, this might be extended to compare with available Cheshire lines.

bristolloggerheads

On the basis that Hugh is a first name possibly passed down through the generations, I looked at the 21 entries of Lee that paid the 1524 Lay Subsidy in Shropshire but no Hugh Lee mentioned.

jbarryl

A Hugh Lee son of Henry was born at this time in Wybunbury, just over the border in Cheshire. His father was my great...........great grandfather, and I have detail of his forebears back to about 1230 if you are interested.

LeeNC

I hate that I am just now seeing this, but yes, I am interested in more information about this Hugh Lee.  I have found the information below.  Do you think this is the same Hugh Lee?  Seems to have come to America around 1630s or 1640s and married Hannah Hewitt.  They had a son, another Hugh Lee born around 1645.  Thank you for any information you may have.

Father  Hugh Lee,   b. Abt 1609, Tilton Cheshire England United Kingdom Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1 Apr 1662, Northumberland County Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location 
Mother  Hannah Hewitt,   b. Abt 1616,   d. Abt 1665 
Married  Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location
Andylee

I am Andy Lee researching this line and would love to see your research.

Phil in Australia

Hi,

I have just seen your note. I have traced my family back to Joseph Lee b 1750 who married Sarah Bolas.

I have been told that we connect with the Lees back to 1066 de La Lee, but have been unable to connect  with that lineage

davidale90

Could you please send me the info jbarryl?  Thanks.

David