French Prisoners billeted to Shropshire between 1807-1814

1 reply [Last post]
hetet whakapapa

Hello everyone.  I am searching for any information, photographs, maps that you might be able to share on French officers who were placed / sponsored in Shropshire.  My ancestor was billeted at Shropshire, married Mary Morgan and had a child, Louis HETET.  I would love any information you might be able to share on Mary's genealogy.  (child to Samuel and Catherine MORGAN).  I have information retrieved from Ancestry.co.uk, I'm looking for more precise/confirmed leads on any siblings / or other children she might have had as its hard sifting through the various names that crop up ...

Also, would love any info on the prisoner billeting arrangements if possible please.  thank you.

havern

Hello,

I Googled "napoleonic war prisoners in shropshire" and came up with a number of items of interest. Oswestry was, apparently a parole town circa 1803 and had a number of POW's as well as members of the French Royalists. There are French graves in the churchyard,and apparently the turf on the Racecourse at Oswestry was laid by French POW's. This information came from an online book by Francis Abell called "Prisioners of war in Britain 1756-1815: their lives, their romance and their suffering" It is downloadable on a PDF.

There is also a website called "napoleonicwarsforum.com".

Hope this of help and interest. Hazel