Edward KENT b circa 1774 - Help needed pinpointing his Baptism & Marriage

2 replies [Last post]
Donald Ellis

The 1841 census for Shrewsbury, St Mary, quotes Edward and Mary KENT, both aged 65, both born in Shropshire and living at Dorsetts Barn.  This would give probable birth date range of 1772 to 1776.

I have been unable to find Edward's date of birth or the names of his parents.  I believe his father may be Trim KENT, however, unable to confirm.  Baptism records for Trim KENT's children, quote a male child baptised on 6 July 1772 (in above range), but does not give the first name.  Could possibly have been forgotten by the time the register was filled in.

Edward's marriage to Mary is also giving problems - was she Mary BATE or Mary JONES?

I would appreciate any assistance that can be given.  Edward is my 3x great grandfather.

[moved to a New Forum Topic - WebMaster]

Michael J Hulme

Hello Donald

Dorset (or Dorsetts) Barn (or Farm) was in Castle Fields, Shrewsbury and in fact Dorset Farm is still there just on the north side of the river by the weir.

Do you know that there is a Will for Trim KENT in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858 available on Ancestry or The National Archives web sites.  The Probate was on 30 April 1833 and he was a Maltster from Whitchurch, Shropshire.  There are several children named in the Will but I can't see any mention of Edward.

The Marriage at Myddle on 6 May 1798 of Edward KENT of Preston Gubbals was to Margaret BATE by Licence and NOT to Mary - this is an error in the printed parish register probably caused by a transcriber writing Marg. which was subsequently read and printed as Mary.

Mike

Donald Ellis

Thank you Mike for your prompt reply and the three points made therein.

Interesting to read that Dorset/Dorsetts Farm is still there in Shrewsbury, so many of my ancestors homes have disappeared over the years.

Have today obtained a copy of Trim Kent's will and as you state there is no mention of a son Edward, whilst most of his other children get a mention.  Not entirely negative, but most probably not the link I am looking for.

Edward's marriage to Mary looks like being that quoted in the register at the Parish Church, Baschurch, Shropshire on 15 May 1808, to Mary Jones, a date that is closer to the birth dates of their children, although both children, John and Mary, were baptised at Myddle.

It is looking as though Edward is going to be as far back as I can get on my KENT line.

Thanks again.  Donald.