DAVIES of Shrewsbury 1883

6 replies [Last post]
Sharen Miles Metts

Seeking info on Frederick William DAVIES (born Atcham, son of William DAVIES), living in Wrexham Road in the 1911 with wife Anastatia (MaGEE) DAVIES, son, John Vincent and daughter, Lillian (my Nan). thanks in advance,

smilesmetts@gmail.com

Sharen Miles Metts

SFHS WebMaster

Hi, to help anyone interested in commenting Sharen, you should have said that Frederick was 27 years old on 1911 Census and that Wrexham Road was in Malpas, Cheshire. This helps people pinpoint your family as Frederick DAVIES is a very common name in the area. wink
Also Frederick appears to have been born in Shrewsbury and not Atcham (which is a tiny village, but is also the short name used for the enormous Registration District fully titled "Shrewsbury and Atcham" that covers a large number of towns and villages including Shrewsbury, see HERE for more detail).

Happy Hunting

Michael J Hulme

Hello Sharen

If you look on the subscription web site Find my Past you will find that your Frederic (original spelling) William DAVIES was baptised at St Chad's Church, Shrewsbury on 29 Nov 1883 when the family were living in Bridge Street.

If you don't have a subscription you may be able to use the site in your local library or archives.

Mike

Sharen Miles Metts

Thanks ever so much! I am definetly not experienced in researching in the area. I am now in the US but was born in Toxteth Park, Liverpool. I do know that Frederick Davies is a popular name as I've been hunting him for many years now. I don't seam to know what other documents to get, to find more about Frederick's father, William as on the marriage cert. William is already deceased. I don't have access to the 1939 but my Nan, Elizabeth Lillian Davies Hatton was already married and living in 22 Nickelby St. Toxteth, with George and their children: George ( died young) Jack, Norma, and Gwen. but I suppose that won't tell me anything more about Frederick's family either. I promise to brush up on this area as I just found your site yesterday. I do love the photos!

Sharen Miles Metts

Thank you Michael,  No, I don't have a subscription. Why would he not have been baptized closer to his year of birth? Does it name his father as William? 

Sharen Miles Metts

Should I repost as "Davies of Shrewsbury 1875 "to possibly get a better responce? Thankyou for the advice.

Smiles

Michael J Hulme

Hello Sharen

The baptism entry I found shows that Frederic William was the son of William & Sarah DAVIES and the father was a labourer.

I don't understand your comment "Why would he not have been baptized closer to his year of birth?"  The 1911 census entry clearly shows Frederick to be aged 27 which means he should have been born in 1883 or 1884 which fits precisely with the baptism I found at St Chad's on 29 Nov 1883.

For the benefit of other readers it is probably worth mentioning that whilst Malpas is a village in the county of Cheshire in the 1911 census it is listed in the Whitchurch Registration District of Shropshire.  Census Ref: RG14PN16242 RG78PN1006 RD353 SD2 ED1 SN88.

I have edited the subject line of your thread so there is no need for you to start a new thread but I am wondering why you mention the year 1875 in your last response.

Mike