Burial of Charles POWELL, aged 7 months, 1910, Clun/Stokesay area

7 replies [Last post]
suepugh7

I have received an enquiry through the SFHS Enquiry line from a member who does not have access to computers - which is why I am adding this post.

She is trying to find the burial place of Charles POWELL, died 7th June 1910, aged 7 months.  Address at time of death is Newton Green, Craven Arms.  She believes he was buried in Clun (possibly the Methodist Chapel) or Stokesay.  His parents were James and Eleanor, both of whom died after him - Eleanor in about 1937.

I have searched the MI microfiche for Clun (both churches) and Stokesay with no success.

Can any one help please?

Sue Pugh

SFHS Enquiries

Michael J Hulme

Sue

If the person died in Craven Arms you would expect the burial to be at Stokesay but you could try Halford, which is just on the northern edge of Craven Arms, or Sibdon Carwood to the west. It might be worth checking whether any local undertakers were in business at that time and have records, also the stone mason at Craven Arms.

Mike

GrahamOfSalop

I have also checked Sibdon Carwood, Halston, Hopesay & Wistanstow to no avail. Seeing the family on the 1911 census as Waggoner on farm, maybe they couldn't afford a headstone. There was a 2 month old in our family that was buried in an unmarked grave in the 1950's.

suepugh7

Thanks Mike and Graham

Graham, I agree the baby may be in an unmarked grave especially as he was a waggoner and money was tight.  Mike, I will see if I have Halford MIs in my set of fiche.  Thanks for checking the others for me, Graham.

The other oddity is that the "customer" says the baby's parents were buried at Clun but I can't find them in any of the Clun MIs.  She says that the mother,  Eleanor, died before her husband in about 1937 but I can't find either of them.

Thanks for your help.

Sue

GrahamOfSalop

Oops, I meant Halford not Halston blush

Jason Arnold Key

Hello, I am at the archives in Shrewsbury and have done a quick search for Charles.

The microfiche for the burial records at Stokesay confirm that Charles Powell of Newton Green was buried, aged 7 months at Stokesay on the 10th of June 1910.

The rector was William Wha...... (hard to read his handwriting for the surname) but a later entry shows that he was the Rector of Wistanstow.

Best wishes, Jason Key.

suepugh7

Hello Jason

Very kind of you to look this up for me.  I will get back to the lady and give her the news.  Regards, Sue

Jason Arnold Key

You're very welcome, it's good to do a look up for someone else when you've been bogged down with your own research - almost like taking a holiday!