William JONES son of Matthew Morris JONES and Sarah HARTSHORN/E

7 replies [Last post]
Lync

Hi everyone, I am based in Australia and trying to find the birth details of my g.grandfather William JONES. My grandfather noted his father was born in Wiley, Shropshire and while the year he noted is definitely incorrect (14 March 1857) I believe he was born sometime between his parents marriage on 3 May 1853 (in Claverley) and their immigration to New Zealand when they departed on 10 July 1855. It would be great if someone was willing to do a look up for me.

thanks!  lyn

deePeye

Hi Lyn
More experienced contributors may well help you better, in narrowing down your William JONES (a difficult task with such a common name) and whilst my grandmother's family came from Claverley, I am unfamiliar with the area to the north of Bridgnorth.  However, the following site has some history of Willey, assuming your granpa's recollections of birthplace are correct: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22889

For civil registration purposes, Willey was in the Bridgnorth Registration District.  Looking at FreeBMD there are 5 William births registered in the period of years you mention, two with second forenames.  Three Williams alone are registered as follows:  William JONES Quarter Jun (April-June) 1854 GRO ref Bridgnorth 6a/560; William JONES Qtr Jun 1855 GRO ref Bridgnorth 6a/547 and another in the same quarter with GRO ref 6a/557 (both being clearly written in the index).  If all else fails, you might consider ordering the birth certificate from the (UK Government) General Register Office via: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ .  You can when applying, ask that you only want the certificate where both parents names match the details you have.  That should avoid unnecessary expense getting the wrong one.  Hope this is still of help.
Regards,
David

deePeye

Hi Lyn,

Forgot to mention earlier, that the marriage of Matthew Morris JONES and Sarah HARTSHORN is listed in BMD as registered in Wolverhampton Qtr Jun 1853 GRO ref: 6b/537.  That district extended south-westwards to include parishes like Seisdon and Trysull, but not as far as Claverley, for which the reg district was Bridgnorth.  Unless you have other documentary proof, it might be worth getting that cert too, as it will provide useful information (place of marriage, ages, occupation, fathers' names).  Can't just put my finger on details, but I think at least one other member mentioned HARTSHORN interests some time ago.

Regards, David

Michael J Hulme

Hello Lyn

Do you have immigration details of the family when they arrived in New Zealand including your GGF William JONES with his age from which to calculate his year of birth?

Willey (two L's), Shropshire was in the Madeley, Shropshire Registration District (see the English Jurisdictions web site) and GENUKI so that cuts down the number of possible entries from the Birth Registration Indexes but even so that still leaves 9 possibles born in 1853-1855 and you probably don't want to buy all those.

NOTE: Willey was not transferred from Madeley Registration District until the 1930's so you can ignore the entries found in the Bridgnorth District.

You could order a copy of the Birth Certificate from the Shropshire Council specifying that you only want it if the parents names match those which you have.

Unfortunately the Willey Parish Baptism Register for the period you are interested in is still at the Church so the only way to see that is to go to the Church in person which obviously isn't practical for you.          *** see revised information below ***

Mike

SFHS WebMaster

For David (and anyone else who needs it) you can search the site for a name, like HARTSHORN, by using the Search Box on the very top line of this site.

deePeye

Thanks Graham, I should have also remembered that clicking "Online Databases" and using the search box under "Members Interests" also lists those with shared interests.  Another mea culpa due for Michael's reminder that I should double check registration districts for the period in question before posting! 

David

Michael J Hulme

Hello Lyn

Having checked with the Willey Estate I am now informed that their registers are at Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury so you might like to email them and explain that you live in Australia and ask if they could check the Willey Baptism Register for 1853-1855 to see if your ancestor William JONES appears there. It should only be a quick job as he is likely to be the only person baptised over that period.

Mike

Bronwen Summers

Hi  I don't think that this is the family you want but just in case.  My great grandfather and his wife who emigrated here came to Oxford in Canterbury where my grandfather was born.  Apparently another member of the family was already here - in Oxford I think it says at the emd 'with friends in Oxford' but I think this was family but I haven't managed to find them.

Regards Bronwen Summers, Christchurch, NZ

Emmanuel Jones husband of Harriet Mansell & Hannah Duckett

b.1813 Jan 13 All Saints, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng. 

m.1835 Aug 23 Harriet Mansell, Eyton upon the Weald Moors, Shoprshire, Eng.

m.1844 Hannah Duckett, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng.

d.1880 Jan>Mar Wellington< Shropshire, Eng. (Emanuel born 1802 aged 78)

o:Tailor

Census

1836 Dec 18 New Street, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng.

1838 Aug 7 Duncow Lane, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng.

1839 Feb 27 Duncow Lane, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng.

1841 June 6 living in Cottage Row, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng. Emmanuel 25, Harriet 25, Emmanuel 2, Maria Jones 1 month and Maria Poole aged 9.

1844 Chapel Place, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng.

1851 101 New street, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng. Emmanual Jones 39, his wife Hannah 28 , Harriet & Emmanual’s son Emmanuel 12, Hannah and Emmanuel’s children: Thomas 5, Sarah 3, Richard 1.  A visitor, John Duckett (Hannah’s father) a Day labourer who was a widower and William Thomas a 34 year old Wheelwright born in Shrewsbury (reg.) (photo 101 New St, St George’s, Telford)

1861 101 New Street, Wellington, Shropshire, Emmanuel & Hannah their children Thomas 15, Sarah Ann 13, Richard 11, Elizabeth 9, John 6, Henry 3, Hannah 1 (reg.)

1871 Emmanuel, Hannah, Richard 21 (puddler), John 17 (labourer), Henry 14 (labourer), Hannah 11 (scholar), George 8 (scholar), William 4 (scholar) living at 114 Christ Church Road, Wellington, Shropshire

1685? MANSILL

Hannah Duckett wife of Emmanuel Jones

b.1823 Wellington, Shropshire, Eng.

m.1844 Wellington, Shropshire, Eng. (living at Walker Street with parents)

d.

Children 8

1847 Oct 7 Sarah Ann Jones

1850 Feb 27 Richard Jones

1852 May 16 Elizabeth Jones - 1871 census general servant in Eardington, Bridgnorth, for William Baldwin

1855 John Jones - 1881 census general labourer

1857 March 18 Henry (Harry) Jones

1859 Oct 2 Hannah Jones

1862 Aug 3 George Jones

1866 June 20 William Jones

Census

1861 Bagmender

1881 Hannah 55 a widow, no occupation given, living at High street, Little Ireland, Wellington with 4 sons: John 24 (gen. lab.), Henry 23 (ironwork puddler), George 18 (wood turner) and William 14 (errand boy)

Thomas Emmanuel Jones

b.1846, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng.

m.1865 Aug 25 Ann Williams, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng.

d.1902 Jan 24, Oxford, New Zealand (aged 65)

Census

1851 101 New street, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng. Emmanuel Jones 39, his wife Hannah 28 (John Duckett’s daughter), Harriet & Emmanuel’s son Thomas Emmanuel 12, Hannah and Emmanuel’s children: Thomas 5, Sarah 3, Richard 1.  A visitor, John Duckett a Day labourer who was a widower (father of Hannah), and William Thomas a 34 year old Wheelwright (reg.)  (photo 101 New St, St George’s, Telford)

1861 101 New Street, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng. with parents Emmanuel & Hannah, Thomas 15 and siblings, Sarah Ann 13, Richard 11, Elizabeth 9, John 6, Henry 3, Hannah 1

1871 Greengate, Salford, Manchester, Eng. Emmanuel Thos Jones age 32, Groom (unemployedAnn), Hannah Jones, Wife, 29, Arthur Jones, son, age 4, born Salford

Thomas (a carter), Ann and Arthur Jones aged 9 travelled on the Waitangi to Canterbury on 7th September 1875 arriving on 7th December 1875.  Assisted emigration to Canterbury, costs borne by the government were 41 pound (now with friends in Oxford)