Tracing MEYRICK / MERRICK ancestors in Shropshire beyond 1660

8 replies [Last post]
Kate Merrick

Dear all, I am trying to trace my Merrick / Meyrick ancestors. I have managed to get back to my 9th Great Grandfather Andrew Meyrick born 1660 in Meole Brace. He was married to Martha Meyrick who I believe was also born around the same time in the same place. However, my research has stopped there. My intention is to try and track their journey over generations from Yorkshire to Shropshire to Wales, as I believe this is where the Meyrick/Merrick lineage originated. The names of my male ancestors (G Grandfathers) below are: 

Andrew Meyrick  Abt. 1660 Meole Brace, Shropshire

Andrew Meyrick abt 1685 Clun Shropshire

John Meyrick 1707 Westbury, Shropshire, England

John Meyrick was born in January 1738 Alberbury, Shropshire      Farmer

John Meyrick 1769 in Alberbury, Shropshire        

Richard Merrick was born in 1787 in Much Wenlock, Shropshire

I wonder if anyone may know anything more about the Meyricks or be able to point me in the direction where I might find out more about them or be able to go back a little further? The above information was all found on Ancestry so it's limited to names and dates and places for now. 

Thank you in advance, 

Kate 

Graham Hollox

Kate. I am unable to help directly, but wonder if you have come across an Elizabeth Merric, who died on May 8th aged 21. She is buried in the old St Mary's Church in Broseley/Jackfield and we can find no links to her. Good luck. Graham Hollox

Lucy Collins

Hello,

I am also researching Meyrick's

I have gotten back only to my 2nd Great Grandfather then I hit the proverbial brick wall.

William Meyrick DOB 1796 Clun, Shropshire DOD unknow 

spouse Mary Ann Martin DOB 1797 Sedgley, Staffordshire DOD April 1867 Dudley, Staffordshire, Wed on 10/26/1826  Saint Alkmund,Shrewsbury,Shropshire,England

Children

Son  - William  DOB Bef June 1928 Lifeton,staffordshire DOD 12/3/1905 Sapcote, Blaby District, Leicestershire    spouse Mary Beck DOB 1829 Elford, Lichfield District, Staffordshire DOD 2/5/1898  Sapcote, Blaby District, Leicestershire

Daughter  -  Mary  DOB 1841 West Broomwick, Staffordshire DOD unknown no further information

Son - George DOB 1841  Benthall, Shropshire DOD 6/7/1925 Shenandoah, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, USA     Spouse  Catherine Conway DOB 1/18/1846 Oldham, Lancashire DOD 9/5/1916 Shenandoah, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, USA

Daughter- Jane DOB 1846 West Bromwich, Staffordshire DOD Unknown no further information 

If we aren't related we must be in the same clan?

Kate Merrick

Thank you for your message Graham, my apologies as I've only just seen it. I havent come across Elizabeth Merric but I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for her as I resume my ancestry search. Will post any updates if there is anything to report. Best, kate

Kate Merrick

Hi Lucy, 

I imagine we must be related! I haven't come across William and Mary Ann in my direct paternal line yet but that may just be because I've been following my direct paternal line and not looking at cousins etc. I am about to resume my search so will keep an eye out. Where have you been searching? 

Lucy Collins

Yes Kate, I think we may be related also. I search online for now. I use Ancestry (did the DNA), 23& Me (also did DNA), Find My Past (a london based genealogy Web Co.), Family Search and a few more.  I'm curious if you have any information about something I've come across and trying to figure out. I believe  William and MaryAnn (Martin) Meryick's first child  Andrew was born Dec 14, 1836 and was Baptised June 14, 1837 and the Sponsors were Thomas Meyrick & Elizabeth Plowden. This baptisim occured in a Catholic ceremony at a Chapel in the Plowden Hall. Do you find any Plowdens in your tree? or around your family? I think there may be a connection. Unfortunately Anrew died in Childhood. also in 1833 there was a child born to Thomas Meyrick and Ann Pitt and baptized in this same chapel. The Godmother fo this child was Elizabeth Plowden.  I think you and I are circling the trunk of the same family tree we just have to figure out our branches.

daisy

Letter from Lieutenant John Meyricke who died in 1815 ,have recently been found in a skip in Bognor Regis

His family home town was Ludlow  and inherited Dinham Lodge Ludlow in the ealy 19th C  

Canalmaniac

A relative of mine Susannah Elizabeth  Morgan married William Meyrick Grocer in Bishops Castle 1885. She was born 1856 and as far as I can work out hwas born 1817. She ended up being examined at the quarter sessions in 1886 though for what I have no idea.

Lucy Collins

what is Quarer Session at bishops castle?  is it a court room or a general town quartely meeting  or something? Here are the Williams I know, a few anyway.  I have a Wiliam Meyrick  born 1786 seems a little old maybe?? maybe not but he was married to the same women as far as I know until she died in 1867 you said she married him in 1885 so maybe?  but he might have been 99  years old then.   I don't know if he was a grocer then?  , his son  William born 1828 married to same women also until  she died in 1898 that is a little after the marriage date you listed above.  They were in the Bishops castle area so I think you may be close to it.  maybe the quater sessions thing in 1886 has someting to do with the marriage?? there are others but I think we need to figute the dates better. do you have documents or anything ? Also have you done Ancestry DNA  or any DNA ? . We can see if we match.

Best regards,

Mary Lucy Collins