TOMPKINS family Richard's Castle 1800s (spouse name PRICE)

7 replies [Last post]
deeb55

I am seeking some help, please, from anyone with a keen interest and/or who is located in the Richard's Castle area.

My father's origins were unknown to me until fairly recently: he was orphaned at an early age and was brought up by relatives on his mother's side of the family.  He knew little or nothing about either side of his family.

I have traced my father's paternal ancestry back to George Tompkins (my paternal great grandfather), born in Richard's Castle in 1846.  He shows in the 1851 census as the grandson of the head of household, James Tompkins (b 1796) and his wife Jane, nee Price (b 1797).  George's mother seems to be Charlotte Tompkins (b c1829), so it appears that George was born out of wedlock.  Obviously, I can trace George forwards, but I am drawing a blank on Charlotte. Earlier censuses show siblings of Charlotte, but not Charlotte herself.  I have looked at Charlotte being a spouse (and her being put on the 1851 census as daughter in error) of the only known male progeny of James and Jane, but his birthdate (1834) seems to preclude this.  One of my vague suspicions is that Charlotte (b c1829) and Mary (b c1830) are one and the same.

The Tompkins family used various spellings of the surname (e.g. on George Tompkins son's military record).

I am wondering if anyone has intimate knowledge of the Tompkins family in Richard's Castle.  Jane Price was born in Richard's Castle, although James Tompkins was born in Pencombe.  They showed in the 1871 census in Richard's Castle.  Their deaths in 1872/1877 were registered in Ludlow/Hereford.  I have not located burial sites.  If one of both of the couple were still resident in Richard's Castle at the times of their deaths, then maybe they are buried there.  Does anyone know?

Incidentally, I am in the UK, and I would visit Richard's Castle if it would likely be worthwhile.  I don't know enough, yet, to make a decision.

Thanks in advance,

Diane

Tomkins_79

Hello Dianne - I am also searching the Tompkins (Tomkins) from Richards Castle. I have found Charlotte married and became Charlotte Bishop. Happy to share what I have.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Diane

You are probably aware by now that research in Richards Castle can be a little complicated because the boundary between Shropshire and Herefordshire passed through the village and there is a church in both counties - St Bartholemew's in Herefordshire and All Saints in Shropshire.

The Richards Castle parish registers up to 1900 are available on the Find my Past subscription web site as part of their Shropshire collection.

There are 12 TOMPKINS burials between 1571 and 1645 plus two more in 1872 which might interest you.

Jane TOMPKINS [of] The Green [was buried] ?? April 1872 age 75

James TOMPKINS [of] The Green [was buried] ?? May 1872 age 75

Unfortunately the Vicar did not include the actual day of burial in either of the these entries.

"The Green" is shown on the modern 1:25,000 Ordnance Survey map as an area located close the St Bartholemew's church.  You can see it on Bing Maps if you don't have a paper copy.  You will need to select Ordnance Survey from the map type drop down list in the top right hand corner and zoom in and out until the correct scale is on screen.

Mike

Tomkins_79

Hi Diane - just wondering how you progressed with George Tompkins? Regards, Rochelle

deeb55

Rochelle,

Many thanks for your response.

I have not done much with the Tompkins for a good couple of years.  I thought I had found a marriage for Charlotte, but I had her spouse as John Preece (b 1811).

I would dearly love to know what you have.  

deeb55

Mike,

Thanks for that information.  I was acutely aware of the county boundary changes - it has been an issue throughout my family tree and not just Shropshire/Herefordshire: Berkshire/Oxfordshire has been a huge headache.

Those burial details for James and James Tompkins are an immense help to me.  They are a good fit.  The couple were living at The Green at the time of the 1871 census (and their ages appear to be given as 78 years and 74 years, respectively, but James's date of birth did not seem to match that age).

Diane

deeb55

Many thanks for the above pointers/assistance.

I have now chanced upon a family tree compiled by a descendant of Charlotte Tompkins (or Tomkins).  This tree looks to be well-researched.  I have back checked it to the best of my ability, but I cannot find for myself the Parish Records for Richards Castle.  Please, does anyone know if these are accessible on line?  If so, where?

This aforementioned tree gives my great grandfather (George Tompkins/Tomkins 1846-1925) as an illegitimate child of an unidentified female sibling of Charlotte.  It also gives Charlotte an illegitimate child (John 1851-1902) prior to her marriage to Thomas Bishop (1832-1861) in 1856.  These occurences were in Richards Castle, as were the births of three children of the union between 1859 and 1867 (Jane, Thomas and James).

The tree documents the descendants of Charlotte and Thomas Bishop, and their lives centred on Richards Castle well into the 20th century, and seem to have remained in the environs of Ludlow for another 50 years or so.  Surnames linked to people in the tree (and all, apparently of fairly local origin) include Davies, Howard, Holley, French and Smith.

Does anyone, please, have further pointers for me?

Thanks for reading my ramble.

Tomkins_79

Hi Diane - Happy to email you what I have if you would like to send me an msg. Rochelle