SMITH, Mary (born 1831, Ludstone Hall)

29 replies [Last post]
Ramari

I am trying to find more information on Mary's background. I have her parents names as Richard SMITH, and Elizabeth (nee SKARAT?). 

I would like to know more about Mary's mother's family if possible. 

Mary moved to New Zealand, where my family is, and was married here in 1853.

If anyone has any information I'd be terribly grateful.

Thanks

Gulielmus

Hello Ramari,

Please can you give us all the information you already know, Names, Birth Dates, Place of Birth and any AGES known, this will save anyone wasting time looking up and telling you these known facts again.

We have the name 'Skarat' in various spellings over a considerable time in Shropshire, the name 'Smith' is so very common this may take some time to establish which one you are looking for, (if at all possible), without a lot more information.

Regards Gulielmus.

havern

Hello Ramari,

If you Google Ludstone Hall, Shropshire there is a potted history of the house. Also if you look at www.claverley.net, this is the website of the Parish Council and there is a link on there to the Claverley Memorial Local History Society, which has one or two good pictures. Hope is is of interest. Hazel

Ramari

Hi Gulielmus and Hazel.

I have Mary's birthdate as 1831, no month or day unfortunately. I also don't know if she had any middle names, which is sometimes helpful is narrowing options down. I also have potential birth years for her parents, Richard being born 1796c, and Elizabeth being born 1806c.

The last name is causing me some difficulties.

I have found the family on the 1841 census, but that's about as far back as i can really find.

Richard SMITH b: 1796c   -   Elizabeth b: 1806c

(Children)

• Elizabeth b:1826c
  • Sarah b: 1827c
  • Catherine b: 1829c
  • Mary b: 1831c
  • John b: 1832c
  • William b: 1834c
  • Esther b: 1835c
  • Thomas b: 1837c
  • Christopher b: 1837c
  • Llewellen b: 1840c
Gulielmus

Hello Ramari,

Firstly do you know details of following,  place name or county of birth for either Richard or Elizabeth?

Secondly, was it after 1841 census and before 1851 census that the whole family left England? 

They all appear to disappear between these dates.

Richard was a farmer at Ludstone Claverley Shropshire and had most, if not all, his children baptised/christened at Claverley.

Remember birth dates on 1841 were rounded, therefore one can't be sure of correct birth date when using 1841 census, also b/c dates can be miss transcribed, as in the case of John and William in the following list:- Sarah c/b 2nd. March 1828- -Catherine c/b 5th. May 1829- -William c/b 23rd. Oct. 1831- -Ann c/b 12th. Oct. 1834- -John c/b 12th. Oct. 1831- -Mary c/b May 1831 .

Lastly, for now, have you found a marriage as follows:- Richard Smith and Elizabeth Skerratt.

26th. July 1824 St. Mary's  Kingswinford Staffordshire.  Not far from Ludstone as the crow flies.          could be interesting?          

All the time I have for now, thanks for your reply.

Gulielmus.

Gulielmus

Ramari, had a thought over dinner, how did you find Mary's mothers maiden name?

The one way you could prove her maiden name would be to obtain Llewellyn's (Llewellen's) birth certificate, he appears to be the only child born after 1837 therefore the only one who would have been registered, you may already be aware of the details on a birth certificate, but just in case,  

Registration District in Llewellyn's case :-      Details you require if you wish to purchase  a copy Childs full name  Bridgenorth Sept.Qtr. 1840 vol.18 Page 27   (cost £9.50  Plus Postage), if you buy direct from General Register Office.                    

Details shown on certificate:-

Where and When Born / Name, if any / Sex / Name and Surname of Father / Name,Surname and Maiden Name of Mother / Occupation of Father / Signature,Description and Residence of Informant / When Registered / Signature of Registrar. 

Gulielmus.

Ramari

Hi again

Thanks so much for taking the time to help with this. I will check out the information you've given me.

Rachel

DavidRStephenson

Hi Ramari,

Richard Smith is my 3rd Great Grandfather. I have a little family history if you would like to share get back to me.

Regards 

David

Ramari

Hi David

That would be great if you have some information about that family. Richard is my 4th Great Grandfather.

Is there a way to email you directly, or to give you my email? I'm not sure if it's ok to post it through this site?

Thanks

Rachel

Michael J Hulme

Hello Rachel

I have sent your email address to David.

Mike (Admin)

Ramari

Hi Mike

Thanks so much. :)

Ramari

David? Are you still around. Haven't heard from you.

Chrisjo

Hi Ramari,  Mary Smith (Hawk ) was my Great ,Great Grandmother.I have a copy of  Mary's death certificate and her mothers name is listed as Elizabeth Skaratt ,and her father Richard's occupation is listed as ' gentleman'....if thats any further help.

I also have a possible marriage date for Richard and Elizabeth 26/7/1824 as noted by Gulielmus.

I live in NZ also and would be very interested in anything new you may learn about our mutual ancestors.Perhaps you could email me ??

Michael J Hulme

Hello Chrisjo

I have sent your email address to Ramari.

Mike (Admin)

Chrisjo

Hi Mike,   Thanks for that.

Doug Harrison

I am new to this site and may have asked this question in the wrong place earlier.

I am interested in the Smith family also. I think they fell on hard times around 1840/45. as they left Ludstone Hall then and lived in Cheshire where the last of 15 children were born. Eventually they emigrated to New Zealand with 12 of their children. They travelled steerage on the barque Eden which shows, I think, their poor financial situation. It was a very bad trip, taking 149 days and was supposed to end at New Plymouth but Richard was ill and there was little more than a camp there in 1840 so they all disembarked in Nelson on Nov 5th 1850. Richard died a week later from the effects of the trip and, I guess failing health. My great grandmother, Louisa was 8 so Mary would have been 9 if she was born in 1841. I had a list of the children's birth dates but cannot find it unfortunately but it was copied out of the flyleaf of a family bible in NZ I believe.

Doug Harrison

I wish I had found this site earlier as I could have contributed something to the sum of knowledge shown here. Richard and Elizabeth had 15 children in all though two did not live long. I think Sarah was married before the rest of the family left for New Zealand. My great grandmother, Louisa was certainly born after 1840 and so was Mary in my opinion.

Doug Harrison

Hello,

There were more children born, I think, after they left the farm. viz Maria Louisa 1844 (my gt gt grandmother), Emily 1845, Charles Edward 1848. My ancestors birth notice shows that she was born at Bridgnorth, or registered there anyway.

Doug Harrison

Is there any way of alerting previous posters to my posts. I have learned things from this site but feel more interaction could reveal more mutually beneficial data.

SFHS WebMaster (not verified)

Sadly no, the RSS Feed only alerts, those who subscribe, to new topics, not new comments,

Chrisjo

Hi Doug, Just found your posts. Could we exchange email addresses ?

Michael J Hulme

Hello Chrisjo

I have sent your email address to Doug Harrison.

Mike (Admin)

Chrisjo

Hello Mike ,Thank you for that.

David Stephenson

Hi I am trying to contact some of the people in this thread. I am descended from Richard Smith of Ludstone. He and his family left Ludstone and eventually England for New Plymouth New Zealand in 1850. Apparently Richard died the first week in New Zealand. The youngest Charles Edward Orlando Smith my great great grandfather became a surveyor and lived in Auckland. Richard's wife Elizabeth and children I believe settled and stayed in New Zealand. If anyone could help with information. If the passing of emails fails as it appears to in the past. I am on skype under my name on the Gold Coast and I have the tree on ancestry.com that I can be messaged on.

Chrisjo

Hi David ,

I may have some extra info for you  .Maybe Mike will swap our email addresses ;-)

Michael J Hulme

Hello Chris

I have forwarded your email address to David.

Mike

cathbishop

Hi all - Please can the administrator forward my message and email to the people who posted in this string. I am writing a book and including Elizabeth Sait (nee Smith) the oldest daughter - who ran a school and was Nelson's public girls' school teacher for years. I want to get the family history right!! I found emigration records for 12 children (which, quite personally, makes me feel very sorry for their mother!) ... on the passenger list appears to be a set of triplets but I think the girl was two years older in fact... Can't see a Louisa... but I am especially keen to illustrate my book and if anyone has any pics that would be brilliant.. ALSO - any others of the sisters in business/?? I know these posts were a while ago but I am seeking needle in haystack! Thanks so much Cath you can find out more about me at my website http://catherinebishop.wixsite.com/history

Michael J Hulme

Hello Cath

I have emailed the contributors to this thread who are connected with the SMITH family.

Mike (Admin)

Ramari

Hi Mike

Can I give you my permission to pass on my details to other contributors of this thread as well?

Thanks in advance.

Rachel

cathbishop

Is it possible that Elizabeth SKARAT is actually Elizabeth SMART? ... I have a theory ....