Shifnal Horse Fair - Map? researching HAYWARD 1841

4 replies [Last post]
cordley

I am researching the HAYWARD family (Joseph & Elizabeth (both aged 40 in the 1841 census), with 5 children and father) living at/on Horse Fair in Shifnal. 

The enumerator says the area covered is "commencing at the house of Mr Gilbert Brown called the Uplands including the Park Lane the east side of Horse Fair to Market Place both sides of Aston Street the east side of High Street and the Curriers Lane".  [his punctuation]

I have seen an old map dated 1882 and Horse Fair is the road that leads south from Market Place.

Does anyone have an older map or similar which would help me locate where the family were living?  Not really local, but we visited Shifnal the other weekend and found ourselves having coffee at China Blue Cafe.  Having got home and delved into the census we are wondering how close we were to the family home??

Would be grateful for any assistance.

Pam

Michael J Hulme

Hello Pam

I'm not sure which map you have seen but there is a 6 inch to 1 mile map available on the National Library of Scotland web site which was surveyed in 1881.  Use this link to see it.

You will see that 'The Uplands' where the enumerator started is south of the town centre in park land between two roads.  If you make a paper print and then zoom into the screen image you should be able to track the enumerator reasonably well.  You then need to start with your ancestors page in the census and view the pages before and after in the hope that an identifiable property is mentioned - possibly a pub or shop.  Don't forget to try the same exercise with the 1851 census.

A larger scale map published in 1901 is available from Alan Godfrey Maps and you might find this useful.  The Shifnal map is listed on this page.

Mike

cordley

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay in replying - blame it on grandchildren and school holidays!!  I have now got the online copy of the 1881 map and will got through the 1841/51 census as you suggest.

Hoping I can identify the properties.

Pam

Michael J Hulme

Hello Pam

Since my original reply the National Library of Scotland have released images of the 1:2,500 (25 inches to 1 mile) scale Ordnance Survey maps of Shropshire.

If you use this link you will see that Shifnal is divided between two maps.  Click on either and you will find there are sheets from at least two dates for each.

Happy hunting.

Mike

cordley

With much help from the Shifnal Local History Group I have been able to locate where my relatives were living, having seen the location on the 1840 Apportionment Map, and seen that Joseph Hayward was the ostler for the Wonder PH and coaching inn in Shifnal, now demolished and now the 5 Coffee Shop and Time Vanes opticians.  When we sat in the Blue Coffee House we were right opposite - how spooky was that.  

A good end to my query, thank you for your help and to Shifnal LHG.

Pam