Selina born 1861 Broseley

5 replies [Last post]
Darren Vidler

Hi there, wonder if you can help me my Great Aunt Selina was born in Broseley in about 1861. Unfortunately I don't have a maiden name. She was married to William WINCER(also WINZER) but can't find their marriage details so could not locate her name.

Any help most appreciated Darren Vidler

angela35

Ummm, strange no marriage even though on 1911 census states been married for 20 years ? Found deaths; SELINA WINCER; 1949, aged 88 Cannock; WILLIAM WINCER d. 1924, Cannock aged 65
Sorry can't help.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Darren

I am sorry that I don't have any answers for you, only suggestions even though I have looked in all the places I can think of.

The first thing I would consider is the possibility that William's surname has been spelt wrongly. When searching try putting WIN?ER so you catch any possible spelling errors.

I notice from two searches I tried that the surname WINCER seems to have its origin in Staffordshire but WINZER is mainly from Devon.  Whilst we often look for marriages in the parish of the bride it might just be worth having a good look at Staffordshire which is where they are living in 1911.

Mike

angela35

I've put variants on when putting name in, also put Shropshire AND Staffs in search, nothing. There is a Selina Potts born Broseley in 1861, but also other names , no real evidence of a marriage ? I've also checked wills for WILLIAM WINCER when he died hoping to name a widow, nothing !

Darren Vidler

Thanks for everyones help. The family was originally Wincer and has spelt in many different ways.Even the family themselves have spelt it Wincer and Winzer

iansotter

Nice to know about Selina and her age. but I did not know anything about her, how she was and how she looked like