Samuel CHARLES married Elizabeth PRICE 1816

2 replies [Last post]
mikejcharles9

Please can anyone tell me what details the marriage entry would contain for this date?
I am desperately trying to find out the place in Swansea that Samuel was born. His birth is given as 1795 approx. and he married Elizabeth PRICE 27 October 1816 in Madeley  Shropshire.
I would really appreciate any information regarding detail of the marriage entry particularly for Samuel.
Many many thanks    Mike

Michael J Hulme

Hello Mike

Marriages from 1754 to 1837 should be recorded in a standard form in pre-printed registers as a result of the introduction of Hardwicke's Marriage Act in 1754.  The information recorded should be:

Name of groom and his place of abode
Name of bride and her place of abode
Where married and whether by Banns or Licence
Date of marriage
Signatures of the Minister, Groom and Bride
Signatures of at least two witnesses

In your case the marriage register image is available in the Shropshire records on Find my Past and this shows that Samuel CHARLES and Elizabeth PRICE were both of this parish (often abbreviated to 'otp') (Madeley) in this church by Banns 27 Oct 1816. He signed, she made her mark.  The witnesses were Margaret PHILPOT and John PHILPOT both of whom made their marks.

It should be noted that the witnesses may be related to either the groom or bride but equally they may not be related.  They may be friends or they may be 'officials' like church wardens. To check this you need to look at a few marriages before and after to see if the same witness names appear.  The witnesses may even just have been a couple of people who happened to be handy in an extreme case.

Mike

mikejcharles9

Hi Mike, thank you so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I keep drawing a blank for Samuel Charles family details prior to coming to Shropshire.  Thank you again. Mike