Marriage Certificate for 1738

3 replies [Last post]
AUSMAC

Hello

I'm new to research in England

I obtained a film on Family Search England Marriages, 1538–1973

Marriage on 20 Sep 1738 Quatford,Shropshire between Edward BIRD and Mary GUEST by licence                  

There was no image of the licence itself only the date and names of the parties

How do I obtain a actual copy of the Marriage Licence which may show parents details and ages of parties etc

with anticipation

PhilPoole

You can find an image of the marriage in the Parish Register on the findmypast website; if you are not familiar with this website note that it is subscription only. The Parish Register only records date and names of Edward and Mary. If the Licence still exists you could try Shropshire Archives (look for them on the Links tab. above.)

My experience of early 18th century marriage licences is that they record little detail apart from names of groom and bride, and sometimes a witness, rarely ages and details of parents.

Best of luck

Phil

Michael J Hulme

Hello

Whilst Quatford is geographically situated within the Diocese of Hereford (see my reply on this page) because it was also within the ecclesiastical peculiar of Bridgnorth any surviving Marriage Licence will actually be at Lichfield Record Office in Staffordshire.

I have spoken to Lichfield Record Office and they tell me that if you want them to search for any possible marriage licence there is a charge of GBP 12.50 (approx A$22.8) which includes a photocopy of the document if found.

If you wish to go ahead with this email Lichfield in the first place and they will send you a link to a web site where you can pay by Debit or Credit Card.

Mike

Jeremy Evans

An alternative option - If there is a Latter Day saints family history centre near you it might be wrth checking if they hold (or can order for you) the LDS microfilm of the marriage bonds that are held at Lichfield record office. FIlm number 919418 - it is in 3 volumes (I think on the same reel ?) depending on year. on the film the bonds are alphabetical by the 1st letter of the groom's surname.

Alphabetical register by surname of marriage bonds. No county or parish order. Vol. 1 1660-1700 Vol. 2 1710-1858 Vol. 3 1700-1704
Family History Library
British Film

Lichfield office are currently digistising these to appear on Findmypast but the marriage bonds are in phase 4. phase 1 has already gone online. wills are in phase 3.
Jeremy