Marriage at All Saints' Broseley around 1810?

5 replies [Last post]
pforkes

Sixteen years ago (in 2000) I first began researching my family tree and have made HUGE discoveries.

However, one thing eludes me: 

• About 1789 my great, great, great grandfather (Joseph Fawkes) was born in Dudley, Worcs, where he was christened on 24th January 1790 at St. Thomas’ Church, Dudley.
  • About 1790 his wife Susannah (who’s maiden name I do not know) was born in Broseley, Shropshire.
  • Their firstborn was Martha, born about 1811 in Dudley, and was christened on 11th August, 1811, at St. Thomas’ in Dudley.
  • I am making the assumption that they did get married (they had at least nine children together) though I have found no record of them marrying and I am told (though not personally confirmed) that there is no record of them getting married at St. Thomas’ in Dudley.  The census for 1841 and 1851 shows them as being husband and wife, and after Joseph’s death (on 24th, January, 1853) in Dudley.  His wife died on 8th April, 1854 in Dudley.

I am hoping to find a record of their marriage in the records for All Saints’ in Broseley (where she was born) in the hope that the bride and groom went to her parish to get married..

In 1996, I moved from England to the United States and so personally investigating this is not so easy.

Can anyone offer any help as to how I might find if my great, great, great grandparents did get married in Broseley, and if so when and what the bride’s maiden name was?

Peter A. Forkes

PS You can see my tree here: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/105742872/family/pedigree

Michael J Hulme

Hello Peter

Looking on Find my Past and Ancestry  (you may need to use the Ancestry.com address in US) the only marriage I can find that fits with the names and dates you have given is one at Gayton, Blisworth, Northamptonshire but I am inclined to think it is just a coincidence of names because Joseph FAWKES was a widower and Susannah ROBERTSON was a widow which suggests this couple were probably older than the couple you have described, assuming you have actually located the correct couple.

I have also looked through the Broseley marriages from 1808 in the hope that there might have been an entry with a surname similar to FAWKES but I couldn't see anything.

Susannah and variants was a popular forename in Broseley at the time of her birth but have you found the baptisms of all her children and checked that none of the forenames give a possible clue to the mother's maiden name?

Mike

pforkes

Mike: first of all a big thank you for taking the time and effort to follow up on this for me.  It is very much appreciated.  Thank you.

I have only found the baptism records of a small number of their children and none of those records give any indication as to her maiden name.

How did you look through the Brosely marriages from 1808?  Is there an online source that I could also look through?

Again, thank you for all of your effort.  It is appreciated

Peter

Michael J Hulme

Hello Peter

All the Shropshire Parish Registers, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials up to 1900 are available on the Find my Past web site mentioned above.  Click 'Search' in the blue bar near the top then 'A-Z of record sets' at the bottom.  On the page that opens select 'United Kingdom' on the left then put Shropshire in the Search box.

You will then be presented with a list of the available records.

Mike

pforkes

From what I can tell, they are all transcripts, and I  am now looking for the originals so that I can look at them and see if I can find them.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Peter

When you reach the search box put 1805 in the date field (earlier than your couple might have married) and change the 'Give or take' field to 0 yrs then put Broseley in the 'Marriage Place' field and click Search.  You will be presented with a list of all the people who married in that year.  Click the camera symbol on the extreme right against any one in the list to bring up an image of the original register but note you will need to pay to see these images so you will have to decide which subscription suits you best.  If you are doing much research then the yearly subscription is the best option and will be cheaper for you with the present exchange rate.  Once you have an immage on screen you can just work from page to page.  Do check the hand written page numbers at the top to make sure there isn't a page missing.

Mike