Mark MILLINGTON sent to Australia in 1802

1 reply [Last post]
DeborahM

Hi there, I am hoping someone can help me find details on Mark MILLINGTON who was tried at Salop Assizes in 1801 for stealing and sent to Australia in 1802-3.  MILLINGTON is an uncommon name in Australia and he was the first, so it is easy to trace the family from there.  However, as we have no info on his UK background, we can not determine his origins.  He MAY have been youngish, possibly 17, when on trial, but there is no mention of family, address, birth, etc.
If anyone has access to the Salop Assizes for that year, we would be grateful for anything you can find for us?
He did go on to be a good citizen in Australia and as he came so early, one of the 'pioneers' of his area. We would love to know his origins.

My direct email is deborah6656@yahoo.com

PhilPoole

Deborah,

Do you subscribe to FindMyPast (FMP)? if so then you will find a record for Mark MILLINGTON for 6th November 1801 at Oxford for stealing £40 or 40s. The image of the record is quite faint and hence difficult to read. It is not clear from the record, but Mark may have been originally tried in Shropshire then sentenced at Oxford, as part of the "Oxford Circuit" of jurisdiction. I'll send the image to your direct email address. The record may also be on The National Archives (TNA) website, although I could not find it . On FMP it comes under "England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935". and for TNA it falls into Series HO13 Piece 14 Pages 157-160. Although the court record is from Oxford it states Mark was from Shrewsbury.

I could not find any baptism record for a Mark MILLINGTON in Shropshire, although several from the East Midlands. But I did find on Ancestry website several Family Trees that state Mark was born 1765 in Whixhall, Shropshire, but they do not give any source reference to verify this claim.

Regards

Phil Poole