Looking for spouse details Samuel IKIN marriage 1788

7 replies [Last post]
John Nolan

I have a marriage of Samuel IKIN to Elizabeth in an old bible at Wellington on 12-03-1788. Can anyone give me more details of Elizabeth please?

Michael J Hulme

Hello John

At the moment I can't see this marriage listed in any of the indexes I have access to so I am wondering why that is.

Do you have the names and dates and places of birth of their children?  If so it might help to tie them down if you listed them here.

Do you have a particular reason to think they married at Wellington, Shropshire rather than one of the other towns of the same name in Herefordshire, Somerset, Cumbria or even Aberdeenshire?

Are you sure you have read the date correctly - is it clearly written?

I did find a marriage (on Find my Past) for a Samuel ICKIN (note spelling) at Wellington in 1778 but that was to Margaret JONES.

Mike

John Nolan

Hi Michael

Yes the date is clearly written in the bible, but not sure where I got Wellington from. That said most of the family were from that area since moving from Sedgley West Midlands then on to Newcastle Staffs.

Samuel IKIN & Elizabeth had 14 children all of who are named with dates in the bible. The eldest are William IKIN dob 20-03-1789 & Samuel IKIN dob 10-02-1790.

Yes I agree there are various spellings of IKIN.

I have the burial details for Samuel & Elizabeth:-

Samuel ICKIN 2-11-1834 at Trench Age 66 and Elizth ICKIN 24-04-1833 Age looks like 64 again Trench.

Hope this helps. Thank you for your interest.

John

Michael J Hulme

Hello John

Historically Sedgley was in Staffordshire before it became part of the West Midlands.

Looking on Family Search I can't see the marriage at Wellington or Sedgley or anywhere else for that matter but looking on Steven Archer's web site 'Family Search: a Guide to the British batches'  (select England --> Staffordshire --> Sedgley) it appears there may be a gap in the Sedgley marriages on Family Search with one batch covering 1741-1786 and the next 1794-1808 with this gap covering just the period you want.  Having said that there is another batch shown as covering 1559-1836 which is difficult to understand.

I think you need to establish whether the Sedgley marriage register for around 1788 is actually available to search (should be at Staffordshire Record Office) and also whether there are any Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) covering this date (should be at Lichfield Joint Record Office).  The National Index of Parish Registers - Staffordshire has a comment for Sedgley "note there are some discrepancies in marriage entries between original registers (OR's) & Bishop's Transcripts (BT's)" which needs bearing in mind.

Mike

John Nolan

Hi Mike

I have gone through the family search, Ancestry & FMP with no luck as yet. Found some of the childrens christenings on Family search. They tie in with dob`s in the bible and these are all Wellington, Shropshire even first born William 20-03-1789. This is what led me to believe the marriage was Wellington.

I need to try and spend some time at various archives and start digging.

Many thanks for you help on this matter Mike.

John

david64

I've seen this name also rendered as HEAKIN and HEKIN in the South Shropshire area. Clues for further searches.

When I can't find a marriage, I sometimes just search for just the forenames and a year range and have a good look through for possibles. This sort of searching sometimes provides results. In Scotland I am a descendant of a family called Ovenston(e). Searching for that name, there were a lot of patchy families, with missing baptisms and marriages. Could have been the poor survival of Scottish PRs, but with deeper digging I found that the Ovenstones were interchangebly called Unston(e); and this variant was not brought up by any fuzzy searches, which tend to have issues with similar sounding name beginning with alternate characters; and also ending in -s.

On FindMyPast there is a marriage of a Samuel HICKIN, 1 Dec 1788, in Bitterley to Elizabeth HINTON.

John Nolan

Thank you David64. Will have a close look at the marriage you suggest plus various alternative spellings

Thank you

John

baz

Hi I have IKINs on my mothers side in the Oakengates/Wellington/Condover/Newport areas. I have 11 Samuels but I cannot see the dates you are after BUT I have seen 50 variations on the name IKIN mostly from the old GRO sheets, some are very obscure but a lot are close.