Look up parish record please - from Shrewsbury

22 replies [Last post]
Iris

Hello

William BUFTON, born Shrewsbury Shropshire 1810/1812 father George.

I am writing my history after 35+ years research. I have never been able to find my ancestor's birth certificate. This is a last chance to find it. I know from the census (I had to get a researcher as he was in Pentonville Prison) that he was born in Shrewsbury in Shropshire in 1810 (0r -possibly 1812.) His father was shown as George in his marriage certificate. He was transported to Australia in 1852. I was going to purchase CDs but there are too many possibilities and they are expensive for a retiree and I only have the father's name and no marriage. So no guarantee of a result. Can anyone do a look up for me please? I had thought of starting with St. Chads.

I am from Australia. Although I lived in England in the 70's and revisited in 1997, I didn't have this information or I would have gone to Shropshire.

This act of kindness will be appreciated

Kind regards

angela35

I don't know whether you subscribe into ancestry but there's a very good family tree on there all about William BUFTON;

Birth 1810 in Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire?, England
Death 14 February 1870 in Greenhough, Western Australia, Australia 
 MARRIED ANN WILTSHIRE JUNE 1840 BROMSGROVE, WORCESTERSHIRE.

Departure
Southampton, Hampshire, England

Left England for the penal colony of Western Australia on the ship 'Marion'. Sentenced to 10 years.

• 30 Jan

• Arrival
      Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
      Arrived on the 'Marion' as a transported convict. Convict No 1032. He is described as 5'6.5" tall, dark hair, light brown eyes, dark complexion and of stout build w/ no distinguishing marks. He is married w/ 5 children.

They had these children;

• 1842 –

If it is correct man,would you like me to contact them for you? They live Philadelphia, PA 

Angela

Iris

Thank you

i am the primary researcher of this line and all my research comes from original records and BDM certificates from England and WA long before the internet. I am from the only direct male line descendant. I have traced all his children to the present day.  http:// www.proactivehrm.com/ancestors.html

That information came from a Dictionary of Biography, a publication written for our bi- centerary and a lot of it is wrong and just guesswork in some parts by the person who put it on.  The birth was definately Shropshire and he was itinerant having children at different places and ending up in Portsmouth. As you can see he was married in Bromsgrove which is correct. His children follow the naming pattern of the Portsmouth family leading me to believe he was a relative - possibly a cousin. He left the colony from London having been in Pentonville (transferred from Portsmouth) for the crime mentioned.

Thanks all the same. That research is a sore point wih me.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Iris

The Printed Parish Register for St Chad's, Shrewsbury does not have any reference to William BUFTON. The only Bufton's mentioned in the index are George and Elizabeth but I don't have the pages with the details.

The Printed Parish Register for St Mary's, Shrewsbury does not have any reference to anyone named BUFTON.

Mike

angela35

Him and Hannah are on the 1841 English census but BOTH AGED 20 years old. He is a SOAP BOILER as you said, and in 1851 Hannah some children are in the workhouse. Certainly can't find either his birth or marriage. Very strange !

Angela

1841 England Census
    about Willm Bufton

Name: Willm Bufton
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821

Civil parish: Bromsgrove
    Hundred: Doddingtree (Upper Division)
    County/Island: Worcestershire

Street Address:

Registration district: Bromsgrove
    Sub-registration district: Bromsgrove
    Neighbors:  
    Piece: 1195
    Book: 3
    Folio: 14
    Page Number: 23
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    Willm Bufton 20
    Hanh Bufton 20
    Christopher Burson 13
    Isaac Burton 25
    Ann Benton 30

Iris

Thanks very much Mike. This is what I feared and you have saved me a lot of money.

kind regards

Iris

Many thanks for your time and interest Angela

Yes this is correct. They were married the year before (1840) and I have the original marriage certificate. . Unfortunately the  census dates may be due to the rounding off of dates, and as you would know this is always a problem. The original also shows these spellings so the census keeper wasn't too fussy. Hannah's date of birth seems to be correct. He was in his 30's, probably was  just 30yo.and recorded incorrectly.  So it is him.

Yes this birth date has plagued me. At least I can rule out some parishes thanks to Mike.

Just out of interest. The last child born in the poorhouse was Edward, my ancestor. I believe he was supposed to be named Edwin (as other letters prove) but his wife didn't register him herself and Wm was in Pentonville. If this is a correct assumption then it reiterates the naming pattern of the other family in Portsmouth.It has always puzzled me as to why he didn't name any of the boys (only 2) after his father.  George coupled with BUFTON is not common. The first boy didn't have issue so this is why we are the only BUFTONs. I recall their was a family of BAFTONS in Shrewsbury and they were congressional if I  recall correctly. I would like to rule this family out.

Kind Regards

Michael J Hulme

Hello Iris

Whilst St Chad's and St Mary's parishes are probably the two largest in Shrewsbury there are several others which have varying coverage in the IGI which probably explains why you haven't found what you are looking for.

Here are the other parish names:-
    Holy Cross (The Abbey)
    St Alkmunds
    St George (New parish in 1837 so too late for you)
    St Giles (Own registers start in 1857 but existed as part of Holy Cross before that)
    St Julian
    St Michael (Own registers start in 1830 but previously part of St Mary's parish)
    All Saints (Register starts in 1871)
    Holy Trinity (Register starts in 1840)

In addition to the above there are three Roman Catholic churches and numerous nonconformist churches, many of which are included in the special volume of printed registers up to 1812 and so included in the IGI but there may be some that are not.

Much of the above is taken from 'Sources of Shropshire Genealogy' by S.C. Clifford, published by Shropshire FHS. It is long out of print but still available on microfiche from the Society - see Shop on the blue bar above.

Mike

mollymandysb

Hi Iris

Don't know if this is any help to you but should you want any photos from the Bromsgrove area please let me know as it is the next town to where I live.

Steph

Iris

Many thanks Mike

This has been very useful.

I have just gone into the shop and found the record.  Now you say it is on microfiche. I will have to see if I can pay for a search.

Kind regards

Iris

Iris

Hello Steph

That is very kind, thank you. I will dig out the census and see where they lived. Not well at the moment so may be a couple of days.

Once again many thanks

Iris

Iris

Hello Steph

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.  I really don't expect you to do this.But if you do I will appreciate it as I haven't got any photos.

My ancestor was married in a Church of England and they were living at Worcester Street, Bromsgrove and one of their children was born in Stoke Prior.  On the 1841 census they were living a Toddington (Upper Division). I have temporarily mislaid the street address, it is probably  in my data entry file. It will be the poorer part of Bromsgrove.The year was 1840 so maybe there are some churches in Worcester Road. Probably North, still standing..

kind regards

Iris

Iris

Hello Steph

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.  I really dont expect you to do this.But if you do I will appreciate it as I havent got any photos.

My ancestor was married in a Church of England and they were living at Worcester Street, Bromsgrove and one of their children was born in Stoke Prior.  On the 1841 census they were living a toddington (Upper Division). I have temorarily mislaid the street address, it is probably  in my data entry file. It will be the poorer part of Bromsgrove.The year was 1840 so maybe there are some churches in Worcester Road. Probably North, still standing..

kind regards

Iris

mollymandysb

Hi Iris

Not a problem, some of my other half's family were born in Stoke Prior, just let me know an address and I will get photos for you.  There are two churches in Bromsgrove, one is All saints, Birmingham Road, to the north of the town and then the larger one in the town centre (I think from memory its St Johns).  There is a Bromsgrove History Society, they helped me a lot with my Stoke Prior research, they actually contacted me through roots chat, have you been on there yet.  Not sure if we are allowed to recommend other sites. sorry if I've broken any rules.

Just let me know what addresses you wanted checking out and if we can swap email addresses then I can send them to you.

Steph

mollymandysb

Hi Iris

Found an entry on FreeBMD for Wm BUFTON and Hannah WILTSHIRE in Bromsgrove in 1840, when you find the marriage cert let me know which of the churches it is.  The 1841 census puts them down as living at Rock, Bromsgrove.  On the FreeBMD there were a lot of other BUFTONs mentioned from around the same area - do you think they could have been related.  Is it right that by 1851 Hannah is in the workhouse, and was Hannah born in Portsmouth as stated on 1851 census.  Do you know which of her children were born in Stoke Prior.

Let me know and I'll get to work.

Steph

Iris

Hello Angela

Sorry this got lost in the other replies and I didn't see it. Yes this is my ancestor but you say the researcher is in Philadelphia?  This must be a mistake but yes please contact them. However can you contact me first please? www.proactivehrm.com/contactus.html" email subject "bufton"

regards

Iris

Martyn Freeth

I have this morning searched for you at Shropshire Archives the transcripts of baptisms of Holy Cross (the Abbey), St Alkmund's and St Julian's, Shrewsbury in each case 1809-1812 inclusive looking for any Bufton or variant. Nothing.

The SFHS Burials Index has no entry whatever for BAfton: a few for BUfton but only one George and far too late for he that I surmise was the father of your William. Nor a matching Elizabeth. The Index is, however, as yet far from exhaustive.

I suggest that you now try FreeBMD to look for death in 1837 onwards of any George Bafton or Bufton anywhere in England or Wales.

I looked also at the printed register of Claremont Street Baptist Meeting House. You will find the record of the births, not baptisms, of course, of several children of George and Elizabeth BAfton between 1798 and 1808 by making a "parent" only search in IGI for Salop. They were in those registers stated as living in parish of Holy Cross in 1798, and in St Chad's thereafter.

query whether the parents omitted to record the baptism of a later William there.

The only possible marriage in the IGI Salop for that couple is that of George BUfton and Elixabeth Bright at Bishops Castle in 1797 - which of couse fits nicely with the above; and I suggest that you take the Baptist records as spelling errors, perhaps from a phonetic "take" by the minister. Boyd's Index at Archives, which covers all Salop printed registers has nothing under either spelling 1776-1837 for a George.

Here is that marriage, from the fiche:

George Bufton of this parish and Elizabeth Bright of the same married by banns 6th April 1797. George signs in full, Elizabeth by mark. Witnesses William Price, by mark, John Farmer, a regular, who signs.

GB screams to be he baptised in 1777 at nearby Lydbury North. My long-term impresion - Bright, unfortunately a very frequent surname in both parishes

Martyn Freeth

Corrections and an additional point. That "candidate" for GB was baptised 10.11.1771, not 1777, at Lydbury North (son of Thomas and Mary - though Thomas has not been seen as a name among the issue of the couple in Shrewsbury). In the para starting "query" I meant "omitted to record the birth".

I have also noted that two of the children, Elizabeth and George, seem to have been baptised, as BUfton, at St Chad's a few weeks after their birth was recorded, as BAfton, at Claremont Street - which is rather odd in terms of the fundamental Baptist doctrine as one understands it.

Martyn Freeth

George and Elizabeth were of Welbatch at the baptism 18.3.1804 of their son George at St Chad's. Welbatch was a detached part of that parish roughly between Meole Brace and Hanwood; and basically just two or three farms and some cottages.

Iris

Hello Martyn

I am sorry I missed this and I was alerted to it by private email from a member but that email was in my junk mail -so there has been a delay.

You have done a lot of work on this for which I thank you and I appreciate the time you have taken..

Just one thing. I only know that my ancestor William BUFTON's father's name was George, but no mother known.  I know there is a William and Elizabeth in Portsmouth and my ancestor has been shown as being born in Portsmouth but this is an assumption everyone has made. The other William was a bit older older and he stayed in Portsmouth. Both died there. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a cousin for reasons I mentioned.

Yes I tried the FreeBMD.  I actually found a BAFTON many years ago but can't find it now. I will so the cross search you recommended.

However you have confirmed that there isn't a birth for a William with father George but you have given some possibilities to keep for the future.

<QUOTE:  have also noted that two of the children, Elizabeth and George, seem to have been baptised, as BUfton, at St Chad's a few weeks after their birth was recorded, as BAfton, at Claremont Street - which is rather odd in terms of the fundamental Baptist doctrine as one understands iT>

Yes St Chads is the best bet but Mike looked there, maybe not under BAfton. Re BAFTON. I did say that even if i could eliminate them from my enquires that would be a help. However it all seems a worthwhile line on enquiry.

kind regards

Iris

Martyn Freeth

Thank you Iris.

As said earlier there is no trace in the SFHS Burials Index of the burial of that George Bufton who was in Shrewsbury in the early 1800s. That Index is of course not yet exhaustive.

But given that he was (on my supposition) bap in 1771 he could well have survived into the period of civil registration of deaths, commencing in July 1837.

So, is it worth searching nationwide in FreeBMD for his death? And for an Elizabeth in the same district? If this results in a match in the Bromsgove area, might you venture in buying the certificate(s)?

Good luck. I feel that you have still a chance of cracking all this.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Iris

I have checked both St Chad's and St Mary's printed registers for BAFTON but there is no such name indexed. However both have entries for BANTON which may, or may not, be of interest to you.

St Chad's, Shrewsbury

15 June 1729 Jos. BANTON & Eliz. JONES married

17 Feb 1734 Thos. DEAKS & Esther BANTON married

St Mary's, Shrewsbury

22 Oct 1763 Richard WILLIAMS parish of Pontesbury & Anne HAYWARD parish of Claverley married by Licence. Witness: Daniel BANTON.

These may just be diversions but I thought you should know about them.

Mike

Iris

Hello Michael

Thank you.

Not sure if you revisited or I did. In any case I didn't see your last post. In all the years I have been doing this research I have never seen any handwritten entries for BUFTON misspelt. And usually the transcripts are not bad. This is surprising. That is until the UK Census went online and I have seen all sorts of names transcribed from what is clearly BUFTON. I had all the census records so I knew where they were yet I have had to correct 20 until I ran out of patience. I too have found that the transcription for Bafton is no longer there and has been changed to BUFTON. I am still looking. It should be easy because the father was a soapboiler too and this is unusual. Unless he got transported before his son to another part of Australia!!!

Anyway book is half done and completed that section but cant resist another little search, so maybe another generation can take it up. BUFTON Family History Book  www.proactivehrm.com/ancestors.html

kind regards

Iris