Lazarus JONES b 2Q 1844, Ellesmere, Shropshire; d 3 Feb 1911, Oswestry, Shropshire

3 replies [Last post]
ElizStewart16254

I have been trying to piece together my 2nd great grandfather's (Lazarus JONES) ancestral history, but have had trouble in locating a copy of his birth record from 1844.  The Birth Registration Index shows he was born the 2nd Quarter of 1844 in Ellesmere, but I haven't been able to locate the actual Birth Registration or marriage record from 1866 which should include his & his wife's parental information, etc.  I believe his father was an Edward JONES (b, abt 1792 in Bettws, Montgomeryshire, Wales) [house carpenter] and his mother was a Margaret EDWARDS (b. abt 1797 in Berriew, Montgomeryshire, Wales).  Lazarus had a brother George (b abt 1834) and a sister Margaret (b abt 1841) that I have located so far.

Lazarus married a Mary Catherine WILLIAMS (b abt 1847 Llangollen, Denbighshire, Wales) in 3Q 1866 at Oswestry, Shropshire.

Lazarus & Mary C. had 8 known children, one of whom was my great grandmother Elizabeth JONES b. 1870 at Oswestry.  She married my great grandfather, George HARRISON in 1898 at Preston, Lancashire.  George & Elizabeth HARRISON emigrated to Canada between 1900 & 1910.  They had 2 children - May HARRISON b 1900 in Preston, Lancashire, and Richard George HARRISON (my grandfather) b 1910 in Manitoba.

Any help in sorting through this confusion would be much appreciated.

Cheers .. Elizabeth Stewart

PhilPoole

Hello Elizabeth,

As you have the right dates etc for the birth and marriage of Lazarus can I ask if you have the actual certificates? As you suggest they should confirm the name of Lazarus' father and mother. If he was born in 1844 then it is highly likely you have the right details for his father and mother, which is consistent with the 1851 and 1861 Census records for Lazarus. Note that for the 1851 Census his name has been transcribed as Larrus Jones. Also Berriew has been transcribed as Barrow.

If Edward and Margaret were his parents then it is worth checking the 1841 Census for Edward born c1796 and living in Shropshire with Margaret born c1801. This should lead you to the same address as the 1851 Census with the additional children of Edward born c1820, Ann born c1830 and Charles born c1836.If you can't find this record post another message for more details.

Take care with the researching as there was another Lazarus Jones born in 1847 in nearby Cockshutt, the son of Richard and Sarah Jones.

Regards

Phil

Michael J Hulme

Hello Elizabeth

If you are happy that the birth registered in the Ellesmere Registration District Q2 1844 is the correct one then you can apply for a copy of his birth certificate online from the General Register Office at Southport and pay by debit or credit card.

I looked in the index of baptisms in Shropshire on Find my Past but he is not listed.  You should note that the Ellesmere Registration District in Shropshire, has in the past, also included some places in Flintshire which was part of Wales and is now included in the modern area of Wrexham.  If you want to see which parishes in Flintshire were included in the Ellesmere Reg. Dist. then look up Lazarus JONES on the FreeBMD web site. Click 'Ellesmere' in his record then click the word 'here' on the next screen which will bring up a list.

Mike

PhilPoole

Elizabeth,

The other thing I meant to say is that if you subscribe to the Ancestry website then do a search of Lazarus on the Family Tree section. You will find several people researching this name. At least one appears to be the line you are following, one the line from the Lazarus born in Cockshutt, and one who may have mixed the two of them up. Plus a couple of Private Trees.

Regards

Phil