John SNAPE born Clive about 1830

8 replies [Last post]
snape1854

Hi

I am looking for a John SNAPE born Clive on 1851 census can't trace marriage or baptism. On 1861 Census he is married to Hannah and living at Rodenhurst Hall Road. On 1871 census in Roddington (Feols) they have a son John born 1853 Myddle? baptised 22 May 1853 (which is my link)

On 1881 census they are living in Wigan and working at Haigh Hall for Lord Crawfold could they have been working on the land in Shropshire.

According to 1861 census he was born in Clive around 1830

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Brenda  x

[Moved to new thread - MJH]

SFHS WebMaster

Bad news I'm afraid (if I'm right), in 1851 he appears to be a "Misdemeanant" aged 22, born The Clive, in Salop County Gaol and Borough House of correction, HO107/1992, 401 Page 10.
I also noticed that he appears as SNAPES in 1851/61/71 Census
He was baptized Nov 15 1829 at Clive, John, Son of Anne SNAPE, Servant, by Rev. G Salt.
I failed to find a convincing marriage.

1841, I think he is down as John SNEPES, aged 10 a Carter(?), living with Sam & Mary ROBINSON, labourer in Clive Township.

Dave snape

Hi Brenda do not know if you got my first message I am not very good at this. My name is Dave Snape, I live in Doncaster, John is my Great Grandfather, my Grandfather was George born 1856. I have uncovered a transcript of John's trial from a Shrewsbury newspaper, look forward to hearing from you.

snape1854

Hi Dave

Just checked my emails - I would love to see a copy of transcript of Johns trial would you let me know which papers - Is your Grandfather George age 5 John age 7 younger brother on 1861 census living at Rodenhurst Hall  - I found John on the 1851 census in Salop Gaol but wasn't sure if he was the same John couldn't find him on 1871 but in 1881 he appears on Wigan Census  I have Wage Book records from Haigh Hall and will check if I copied any for George.  Do you know thier father's name?  Many thanks for your help Brenda

snape1854

Thanks for your help I found the Misdemeanant but could not be 100% it was the same John Snape another member has informed me that he has a transcript of trial which I am looking forward to reading looking at what you have found about his baptism looks like no fathers name would you be able to let me know were to look for baptism of possible brothers/sisters once again thanks for your help will check our 71 census - on 1861 cencus he is married but the cencus I have is SNAPES once again thanks for your help

Dave snape

Hi Brenda, sorry for delay in my return, just to recap my Great Grandfather is John senior, George his son is my Grandfather as you rightly said, John senior was a prisoner at Salop Gaol for wounding with intent at Grinshill. I did know that John senior went to Wigan, I followed on census my grandfather George and John senior appears living with George .If you do find any thing in respect of George I would appreciate seeing it. Is it possible that we are related in any way?

Dave

snape1854

Hi Dave

I have had an email from Micheal Hulme (Shropshire Family History) who advised me that he has let you have my email address and I would love to hear from you.

It would appear that your Grandfather George and my Great Grandfather John were brothers - I would love to read transcript about their Father Johns trial.

Have you managed to trace John Seniors Mum or Dad ?

Hope to hear from you soon

Brenda

Michael_Snape

Hi everyone only just joined SFHS. George Snape or Snapes was my great grandfather I would appreciate an information or direction you could provide.. best wishes Michael Snape

snape1854

Not looked at family tree for a few years but picked it up again a few months ago.  I have only just found out that John married a Hannah ROBINSON not sure of date and place still looking so John &  Georges mother was Hannah ROBINSON. George was baptised on 20 May 1855 at Baughton Chapel which is next to Clive. I have found family on all census up to 1911.  Hope this helps.  Cant find a conving match for Hannah ROBINSON of Ellesmere still searching. Brenda x