John MOUNTFORD born in Hyssington abt 1821

4 replies [Last post]
GailS

Good afternoon, there is a story in my family that John Mountford my 2x great grandfather was the Head of the hunt and my question is how would I find records to prove this. In 1871 he was living and farming in Wenlock and prior to that he farmed in Churchstoke. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

johnp3

Hi Gail S, the only thing I could find regarding your John Mountford was from a newspaper.

See transcript below

Best Regards

John P J

Infringement Of Cattle Plaque Orders:
P.C Turner, of Much Wenlock, charged John Mountford with driving 12 cows without a license
from a pasture near five Chemneys to Much Wenlock.Defendant addmitted the offence, and pleaded ignorance. Fined 10s. & 13s.

19th Jan 1867 in the Bridgnorth Journal & South Shropshire Advertiser

johnp3

Hi Gail, Sorry my transcribing skills ain't so good!

See below, with what I think is the correct spelling!

Best regards

J.P.J

Infringement Of Cattle Plague Orders:
P.C Turner, of Much Wenlock, charged John Mountford with driving 12 cows without a license
from a pasture near five Chimneys to Much Wenlock.
Defendant addmitted the offence, and pleaded ignorance. Fined 10s. & 13s.

19th Jan 1867 in the Bridgnorth Journal & South Shropshire Advertiser

Michael J Hulme

Hello Gail

I am not sure which hunt would have included Much Wenlock but you might like to search for the South Shropshire Hunt to start with.  The Wheatland Hunt might also be worth looking at.

A search for South Shropshire Hunt Archives brought up a page on The National Archives web site which actually references some material at Shropshire Archives although it is a little later than the date you are looking for it might give you some pointers to follow.

Mike

GailS

Hi John and Michael thank you both for your replies, I will look into this further and let you know if i have any success in finding anymore information, thank you once again  Kind regards Gail