John MADDOCKS baptised 1788 Sutton Maddock

2 replies [Last post]
peter maddocks

Hallo everyone I am hoping that someone in the society will be able to help me make a connection between the above subject and the following. my 4x grandfather was born about 1780 he married Ann RODEN in 1803 at St Peters, Wolverhampton.
The subjects father was Cornelius MADDOCKS he was born 1756 at Cantlop his wife Abigail BALDWIN was born 1755 at Sutton Maddock they were married in 1777 at St Peters, Wolverhampton thier first child John was baptised 1778 at Sutton Maddock, thier second child Elizabeth was baptised 1780 also at Sutton Maddock. Cornelius & Abigail went on to have another eight children all baptised in and around Broughton nr Wem.
The one piece of information that throws doubt on the subject is on the 1851 census my 4x grandfather was living in Great Wyrley farming 25 acres with his eldest son Walter, a bachelor and 2 of his youngest sons children he says he is a widower and born in Tettenhall and 69 years old that makes a 4 year age gap with the subject.

Any help would be much appreciated many thanks Peter MADDOCKS

Rachael Hellberg

Hello Peter

Only last week I returned to the matter of trying to find out more about my 3xGt Grandfather, Cornelius MADDOCKS and his wife Abigail. My research at that time had lead me only to Broughton. So it was most interesting to find that Cornelius and Abigail had two children prior to the eight I had listed. It had struck me as odd that there was a long gap between their marriage in 1777 and Mary born in 1782. You have provided a satisfactory explanation for which many thanks.

As to your query: I see no problem with John being listed as born in Tettenhall, which is now a part of Wolverhampton but at the time would have been a village outside Wolverhampton.   Being their first child I'll bet Abigail went home to her Mother in Sutton Maddock for the birth and the child was baptised there. Likewise for Elizabeth.   The family obviously moved from Tettenhall (Father's farm perhaps?) to Broughton about 1781 where the remaining eight children were born and baptised. It would be too far to go home now and not very convenient as she was a Farmer's wife with two children and knew how to manage now.

As to John's age - 69 from 1851 gives a birth year of 1782; his sister Mary was baptised 14.10.1782 at Broughton.   If John was born/baptised in 1778 by 1851 he would be 72-73.   People often didn't know  their exact date of birth;  the Enumerator may have made a mistake; misread his writing; or, at worst, guessed.   To be a few years out is, in my opinion, acceptable if other facts fit together.   Where did John and Ann Maddocks die?   Is there a headstone somewhere or a record of the M.I. which might list a different age?

Finally, my connection to the Maddocks is through John's younger brother, Samuel b 1793 Broughton, who married Mary Ann HEATH at Prees in 1819.   Their daughter Mary Ann married Thomas DICKIN at Edstaston in 1853.   Their son George Alfred DICKIN married Elizabeth EDWARDS at the Wyle Cop Baptist Church Shrewsbury in 1879.   Their son Charles Alfred DICKIN is my Father who married Edith Rita CHEFFERS in 1937.   So I guess we are cousins.

Rachael Hellberg

Michael J Hulme

I have emailed Peter to advise him of this new posting. MJH