John BARNSLEY 1768

2 replies [Last post]
robbarns

I am looking for any information on a John BARNSLEY possibly born about 1769 in Wombridge, Shropshire.

Married Mary DAVIES 16 October 1797

I'm led to believe parents were a James BARNSLEY and Jane WALLET but I can't find a birth certificate

Also don't have a date of death for John either.

James and Mary had the following children:-

• James
  • Jane
  • Matthew

If anyone can provide any information would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Rob

winnner1

Hi Rob

Possibly not what you expected, Family Search has this:

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975:

John BARNSLEY. 3 Jan 1768. Wombridge. Parents  = Richard BARNSLEY & Elizabeth

Geoff

PhilPoole

Rob,

There are two other baptisms you might want to consider for John. On FindMyPast there is a baptism of John BARNSLEY on 19th December 1869 at Wellington All Saints, parents John and Jane BARNSLEY. Also on FMP John baptised 22nd May 1868 at St. Peter, Wolverhampton, parents Thomas and Sarah BARNSLEY. The baptism at Wombridge with parents Richard and Elizabeth also on FMP.

On Ancestry there are several family trees for John BARNSLEY born 1768, most claiming John's parents to be James and Jane, plus a sibling of John's called Ann. Interestingly FMP has a 29th June 1766 baptism at Shifnal for Ann with parents of James and Jane BARNSLEY. If you can definitively link Ann with John, then it is possible that the Wombridge baptism was incorrectly recorded. I have an example in my own family tree where the vicar erroneously recorded the mother with the daughters forename.

Hope I haven't confused you!

Phil