John BARNES and Mary EDGE - Aug 18 1833 at St. Chad's, Shrewsbury

4 replies [Last post]
tomlinj

John BARNES married Mary EDGE Aug 18 1833 at St. Chad'S, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.
Their son William (born  04 Sep 1842) married Jane Robertson PAXTON.
Jane and William were married 31 Oct 1864 in Hulme, Lancashire, England.
Jane's father was John PAXTON. William and Jane were my gg grandparents.

What I would like to have is some information on their parents.

I got the following from LDS site and my cousin confirmed the info.

This is not her line:-.
England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 about John BARNES Name: John BARNES Gender: Male Marriage Date: 7 Sep 1833 Marriage Place: Saint Chadd, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England Spouse: Mary EDGE FHL Film Number: 918796 Reference ID: 25.

Any help would be much appreciated.

tomlinj@persona.ca

PhilPoole

A couple of questions to get the ball rolling:

Could you tell us where William was born in 1842,? That may help find his father in the 1841 Census.

Do you have a copy of William's marriage certificate? It is available on the Ancestry website and describes William as a Ship steward and his father John as a Servant.

Regards

Phil

tomlinj

I  have is the LDS site info.

England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 about John Barnes Name: John Barnes Gender: Male Marriage Date: 7 Sep 1833 Marriage Place: Saint Chadd, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England Spouse: Mary Edge FHL Film Number: 918796 Reference ID: 25

I also have William's marriage record from ancestory, and his death record.  His death record states both of his wives names and his parent's names: John Barnes and Mary Edge.

On marriage to Euphemia Hook, he in Apr he is 31 and on death in Mar he is 73, so his birth year would be abt 1843 or after Apr 1842.  On his marriage to Euphemia Hook In 1874, his parents are deceased and hers are still living.

The marriage record you refer to is his marriage to his 1st wife, Jane Robertson Paxton, 1864 31 Oct.  I have just been able to obtain this record of his marriage to Jane, through friend's paid account.

Can you get a marriage record for John Barnes and Jane Edge.  The following is all I can find on Ancestry.

Name: John Barnes
Marriage Date: 7 Sep 1833
Marriage Place: Saint Chadd, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
Spouse: Mary Edge
PhilPoole

The marriage record, which can be viewed on Findmypast website, gives no further clues on John & Mary, except to say they both signed their names.

My gut feel is that John and Mary lived in Castle Hill, Whitchurch after their marriage. This is based on 1841 Census record for John (40 yrs), Mary (25 yrs), Elizabeth (4yrs), Ann (3 yrs) and John (1 yr), with John (the father) born outside Shropshire, others born in Shropshire. I cannot find John & Mary in 1851 Census, but Ann Barnes aged 13 yrs, born in Whichirch working as a servant in Wem for William Edge (81 years old, Beer Seller) born Hanmer, Flint) and his wife Ann Edge (only 27 years old !!, born Newhall, Cheshire). in 1851 Elizabeth Barnes was also working in Wem as a House Servant. I have not found 1851 Census records for John (son) yet. Nor any 1861 Census records for the girls, but they may have married 1851-61. 

Going back to Wiliam Edge. There is a 1841 Census record for William (70 yrs) with Elizabeth Edge (68 yrs), Jane Edge (17 yrs) and Mary Harris (18 yrs, servant) living in Wem. Based on this there is a possibilty that William and Elizabeth are related to Mary Edge. Further there is a November 13th 1813 baptism of Mary Edge in Whitchurch, parents William and Elizabeth Edge. Jane Edge was possibly a granddaughter of Willam and Elizabeth, as the only baptism record I could find was 18th February 1824 in Whitchurch, daughter of John & Elizabeth Edge.

Let me know if the info above fits in with any info you already have.

Regards

Phil

tomlinj

Thank you very much.  I will look into this, and check what else I find. You have been a great help.  I did find out that William Barnes and Euphemia Hook had 5 children and son John and daughter Annie (my great grandmother) were born in England, as per census in Scotland, and the other children were born in Scotland.  Annie was baptized in England in Dec. 10 and born in Nov. 23 of the same year.