Job Orton (1717 - 1783) Dissenting Minister, Shrewsbury

4 replies [Last post]
David Elisha

Research has shown that Job Orton received his religious training at the Northampton Dissenting Academy of Rev. Philip Doddridge DD. Job Orton returned to Shrewsbury where he was ordained. The works of the Rev. Philip Doddridge DD were influential in the faith of William Wilberforce.

Very interested to learn of other Dissenting Minister or congregation links between Shrewsbury and Dissenting Academies in other places such as London, Northampton, Leicestershire or Lincolnshire.

Doddridge himself studied at Kibworth Harcourt in Leicestershire.

Any discussion of Dissenter or Whig links between Shrewsbury and other places very welcome ! Thank you !

Michael J Hulme

Hello David

I am informed by one of my contacts that the 'Oxford Dictionary of National Biography' has quite a bit of information about Job Orton.  There are at least two references online at <https://www.oxforddnb.com/search?q=job+orton&searchBtn=Search&isQuickSearch=true> but if they don't answer your question you should look for a good reference library near to where you live to consult the above publication.

You should note that some text on the above web site provides a link to another page so do run your cursor over the page.

Mike

daisy

There are a couple of mentions of Dissenting Ministers in Ruyton XI Towns One being given a licence to use his house as a place of worship 

Michael J Hulme

Hello Daisy

Could you expand the information you have given by adding the names and the dates. I understand the dates are significant because different rules applied at different dates.

Mike

daisy

I have a note that Richard Richards was given a licence by the Oswestry Justices of Peace in 1785, to hold religious Services in his dwelling House in Ruyton. ? Baptist 

Shrewsbury Baptists had permission to hold service at a cottage in the Little Ness Road, owned by two maiden ladies. The Misses Kinastons of Ruyton Hall promptly bought the cottage and banned future Non Conformist services . In the Spring 1832 Rev Dr Jenkyn of Oswestry used his Gig as a platform to conduct a service in the open air in front of the Admital Benbow and a drunken mob. This carried on throughout the summer of that year