Jane GRIFFITHS born 1819-21 Dorrington or Condover

8 replies [Last post]
SharonUSA

Greetings: My GGG Grandmother was Jane Griffiths born 1820. The 1841 census states she is born in Condover 1821. The 1851 census states she was born in Condover in 1820 and the 1861 census living in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire states she was born in Dorrington in 1819.

She married William Lloyd March 14, 1859 in Dudley, Worchester 12 July 1841 Longnor and on the marriage certificate it states her fathers name as James Griffiths. I did find a 1841 census listing a James born 1776 and Sarah born 1775 with daughter Jane age 20 and a John age 1 who turns out to be Jane's son based on the 1851 Census (West Bromwich).

I am wondering how can I find the names of Jane's siblings if she had any? Because the 1841 census her parents James and Sarah are 65 and 66 years old and Jane is living with them age 20 with her iligetimate son John born 1840?   Thank you so much for your help. I am dreaming/thinking on going to England next April or May and stopping in at Shrewsbury.

[Moved to new thread - MJH]

Gwynne Chadwick

Hi Sharon,

Jane was Christened at Condover on 25th April 1819.
Daughter of James & Sarah GRIFFITHS, a Labourer of Dorrington.

I can't see any other children for that couple in Condover but of course they may have moved to another village.

John was Christened at Condover on 19th Jan 1840.
Son of Jane GRIFFITHS, a Servant of Dorrington.

Gwynne

Michael J Hulme

Hello Sharon

After the above events took place Dorrington obtained its own church the registers of which commence in 1845. Unfortunately they are not included in the Shropshire registers available on the Internet through Find my Past or the Family Search web site so can only be viewed on microfiche at Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury.

Mike

SharonUSA

GRIFFITHS: Gwynne, Thank you so much for checking. I appreciate it. I did have the information on her Christening and also her parents names since I had ordered a copy of her marriage license to William Lloyd. They married in Longnor in 1841.  Also 1841 census shows prior to Jane's marriage that  she was a servant.  The last census I have is the 1841 Census for James and Sarah and daughter Jane and Jane's son John living in Longnor and James is age 60.  I searched for James and Sarah for 1851 and found a couple close to their ages living in Leaton I believe it was in that town?? I did not save it.  Jane and husband William Lloyd had all their children in Longnor except for last two children and they were born in West Bromwich.

On Ancestry.com I keyed in the name GRIFFITHS and the town of Condover and pulled up the following names:

Wm. b.181 wife Caroline etc.

Charles b.1819 Condover Wife Ann etc

Thomas b.1814 Wife Sarah etc.

John b.1829 Wife Mary etc.

The above could be related to my James who's daughter Jane was born 1819 so James would / could have been born 1780-1801 guessing ...

I hope Jane had siblings.  I have a lovely photo of Jane all dressed nicely with her daughter my GG grandmother Mercy Lloyd. It is on a tin plate. A treasure to have :o)

Question:  When it says they married in Longnor they are referring to the only church back in 1841 in Longnor named St. Mary's ...is this correct?  Thank you so much...Sharon

SharonUSA

GRIFFITHS: Thank you Mike for the information. I am planning on going to Shrewsbury Archives and FHS library to do some research God willing I go to England next year. I also

want to stop in at Church Stretton library FHS

SharonUSA

GRIFFITHS CORRECTION: Sorry...

On original post I made an error in Jane Griffiths and William LLoyd's marriage date. and location:

The Correct date is: July 12 1841 Church of Longnor

Greetings: My GGG Grandmother was Jane Griffiths born 1820. The 1841 census states she is born in Condover 1821. The 1851 census states she was born in Condover in 1820 and the 1861 census living in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire states she was born in Dorrington in 1819.

She married William Lloyd March 14, 1859 in Dudley, Worcheste

Michael J Hulme

Hello Sharon

In your reply #3 you mention the possibility that James and Sarah GRIFFITHS were at Leaton in the 1851 census.  I believe this to be incorrect.  If you search for their names and select Piece No: 1991 (Exact) which covered Leaton they do not appear.

There is a couple with the correct names living at Dorrington with their grandson James DAVIES - see HO.107 piece 1990 folio 176 page 2. Is this your family or just a coincidence of names? Be aware that GRIFFITHS is quite a common surname in Shropshire and of course James and Sarah are equally common forenames.

Mike

SharonUSA

GRIFFITHS: Hello Mike,

Thank you so much for your email and the information you sent. I am

so sorry but I don't know what source you are referencing for your information

Piece No: 1991 (Exact)  and see HO.107 piece 1990 folio 176 page 2. I am

not a member of FindYourPast Website (sorry don't recall proper name).

I did not add James and Sarah from the census to my family tree from Leaton they just fit into

the age realm of my James and Sarah.  Wow so you found them in Dorrington.

I wonder why I could not pull them up from Dorrington on Ancestry.com perhaps I missed it while searching.  Yes lots of Griffiths and lots of Davies and Lloyd's.  I was searching for Jane's sister in law Sarah Lloyd b. abt 1821 and could not determine if she married Henry Davies in 1850 or a John Evans in 1845.  Now I am wondering Gwynne could not find any record of Jane Griffiths parents James and Sarah listing any other children other than Jane so I wonder who this Davies child belongs to. Jane must have had a sister.

How can I access the reference numbers above that you sent to me? Also, I tried to find youtube.com video's of Dorrington but nothing to show the village ...is it still there also Condover the same problem?  Thank you again, Sharon

SharonUSA

GRIFFITHS: Hi Mike, I went into ancestry.com and did a search and found the census record you were referring to.  I noted the transcriber misspelled DAVIES surname. YES this could be my Griffith folks, James and Sarah.There were a lot of Hancocks/Hancox also listed in surrounding towns ... Jane Griffith daughter of James and Sarah had a John Hancocks as a witness listed on her marriage certificate to William Lloyd in 1841. Then I found that William Lloyd's father Richard Lloyd (b.1801) second wife Mary who was a widow to John Preese ..and her maiden name was Hancocks. Oh the web we weave.

In regard to this 1851 census James and Sarah's birth date are different from the 1841 Census I have for them: 1841 James b.1776 and Sarah b. 1775. The 1851 census James b.1783 (which would make him 17yrs old when his first child was born) and Sarah b. 1781

Thank you, Sharon

1851 England Census about James Griffiths

Name:

James Griffiths

Estimated Birth Year:

abt 1783

Relation:

Head

Spouse's Name:

Sarah Griffiths

Male

Where born: