George, s. of Mary PREECE b. 1811 in More

1 reply [Last post]
MikePreece

Hello,

I have reached a stumbling block in tracing my male line. I found a record of the baptism of George at More on 1/12/1811, the illegitimate son of Mary PREECE. I think she was the daughter of David and Mary, having been baptised in More on 20/10/1783. I would like to find out as much as I can about what life would have been like in More at that time. Would she have been required to name the father of the child to be recorded anywhere?

Regards,

Mike Preece.

Corinne

I don't have Preece in my family but noticed the name because my great great aunt was an orphan and stayed with a Preece family in sussex in 1911. That aside.. 

I don't think the father's name would have to be recorded anywhere. I usually look at all the local records I can including back and forward in the parish records for other births, marriages etc to try and build a picture of the mother's life to hopefully find clues to find a father. More is near Bishops Castle and you might try contacting their Heritage resource centre and they may have suggestions for you to learn about life there in the period you are looking for. www.bchrc.co.uk . I have always found local history groups very helpful.

Good luck

Corinne