Baptism for George WILLIAMS abt 1865

3 replies [Last post]
rse1949

Hi to one and all. I'm trying to find the mothers maiden name. This is what I have there's a John Williams born 1838 Liverpool  his wife Elizabeth born abt 1843 Wales children according to the 1871 c Mary aged 8 George 6 Thomas 4 and john 4 months living in Pipe St, St Julian, Shrewsbury
Regards Eddie

Martyn Freeth

Hello. First thing - finding a baptism will only very rarely give the mother's maiden surname; and from what I know of the likey parishes, it will not.

Pipe Street seemingly no longer exists; but I see the family in 1881 Census (for free via Family Search) at 3, Old Coleham, St Julian's. This was close to the English Bridge and may then have been in the original parish of St Julian's or in the new "daughter" parish of Holy Trinity, Belle Vue.

Father John was aged 42, born in Liverpool, wife Elizabeth 39, born at Llangollen. George was 17, John was "12" (with two younger sons), all born in Shrewsbury.

Go back into the 1871 Census to check the date / night on which it was taken. From this you might arrive at the month or two in which John (aged 4 months) was born.

Happily in 1870 the Shrewsbury Registration District had not yet merged into the much wider Atcham District; and FreeBMD has (surprisingly for the names) only one, or at least few entries for the birth of John. You can then apply to the Superintendant Registrar (at or near Shire Hall, Shrewsbury) for a certificate, but saying that you want it only if the parents are John and Elizabeth. Then you will get her full maiden name.

Michael J Hulme

Hello

In the 1871 census (RG.10/2772 fol.84 pg.31) (taken 2nd April 1871) the youngest child John is aged 16 m[onths] which means he was most likely born November 1869.

Pipe Street and Pipe Passage were obviously in the Longden Coleham area from their position on the census but I can't find either on the map. Pipe Passage became known as Fairford Place in the late 1890's.

Mike

rse1949

Thanks for the info thing was I was in fairford place a few months ago not realising it was once pipes passage