Ann GRIFFITHS born Shelton 1841

8 replies [Last post]
EveHarris39

I am researching Ann Griffiths, born in Shelton 1841. She married John Mitchell of Wellington in Somerset, and they settled in Prescot, Lancashire, where John worked at the colliery. Ann died on 4th August 1897 in Prescot. If anyone can guide me to where I start to look for Ann's family I will be grateful.

Martyn Freeth

Hello. I cannot see in FreeBMD any death on the whole year 1897 anywhere in Lancashire of any Ann, Anne or Annie Mitchell of anything close to an appropriate age; though I do see John and Annie Mitchell in Eccleston, near Prescot in 1881 Census, she then aged 41 (which may be deliberately vague), born, as you say, at Shelton. The reason for checking FreeBMD was to look for her stated age at death. Can you confirm the facts?

Also do you have their marriage certificate to provide her father's name and occupation?

Shelton was, I think, still part of St Julian's parish, Shrewsbury in 1840 or so; and you will see - rather surprisingly - that those baptisms are covered by the IGI for the period; and that there is one for an AG in 1843.

This may not be the one required. I may be wrong about the right parish; or she might have been baptised in any event in another parish; or at a Nonconformist chapel - most of which are not covered for so late a date in the IGI. (Shropshire Archives are unlikely to hold NC registers after 1837).

I will leave commenting further on options for search until you are able to comment on the above.

Martyn Freeth

I have now found (by searching nationwide) in FreeBMD the death of Ann Mitchell, aged 56 in Sep Quarter 1897 in Prescot District - odd that it did not come up before when searching under Lancs. Also noted a marriage in Liverpool Sep quarter 1867.

Also I popped into Shropshire Archives to look at fiches of St Julian's (which did still include Shelton):

2.7.1843 Ann d of John and Ann Griffiths, Wyle Cop [ centre of Shrewsbury ] , Boots at the Lion hotel.

Also skimmed whole from late 1839, just in case, but nothing relevant and no Griffiths seen at Shelton.

Query one. Was Ann consistent as to her place of birth in Censuses from 1871 onwards? There might have been a mis-hearing for Chilton, just south-east of Shrewsbury in Atcham parish; or Shelton in the Potteries might have been intended.

Query two. Have you tried to find Ann with her parents in 1851 Census?

EveHarris39

Martyn

You have been so busy on my behalf and I appreciate that! I was not able to discover marriage details, so will follow up your suggestion re the Liverpool 1867 date that you found.

In all the cencuses that I checked, Shelton seemed to be the place of birth. I am not familiar with the area and so don't know the various parishes. (Interestingly, John Mitchell was also quoted on the cencus as coming from Wellington, Shropshire. He was, in fact from Wellington in Somerset. I have not found evidence of a Shelton in Somerset.) I do hold Ann's death certificate, which placed her birth at 1840/1 and discovered her maiden name by gaining the birth certificate of one of her children.

As a relative newcomer to research, can you explain the terms AG and IGI please?

Many thanks

Martyn Freeth

Fine Eve.

By "AG" I mean Ann/e Griffiths. "IGI" is standard abbreviation for the International Genealogical Index - a key tool for research which you will soon be using a lot (although Somerset is poorly covered). To learn more go into FAQ at the top of the page.

I assume that you are aleady using FreeBMD. That will tell you (somewhere) how to order the certificate for that 1867 marriage.

Until you have it no safe progress can be made - her father's name and occupation.

With such you can then try for Ann's birth in FreeBMD. As I see it there are two close possibilities, one in Shrewsbury District, other in Atcham (which was the whole, wide area all around the town; the two Districts  later merged). You can, I believe, ask the local Superintendant Registrar to ignore your request if father's name does not match (It's years since I had to obtain certificates).

Shelton is on the west side of Shrewsbury where the roads to Welshpool and Oswestry divide. If you can use Google Maps type in Oxon Priory.

More anon.

EveHarris39

Martyn

Thanks for the help. I've found the marriage date for John Mitchell, but shouldn't I also be able to match that up with a corresponding entry for Ann Griffiths? I've been trying without success to cross match (does it work like that?)

Eve

Martyn Freeth

Yes, you ought so to be able. I have just tried that, and it works; but sometimes FreeBMD will not respond to "Ann" when the entry, as here, is for "Anne".

There are of course four surnames on the index sheet but odds are that the two Scottish surnames, Baird and Rutherford, married each other.

Meanwhile are you trying the 1851 Census? (Cannot help from home).

EveHarris39

Hello Martyn

I found the cross match, thankyou - and the marriage certificate is now on order. I've had another look at the 1851 cencus, but without knowing whereabouts she may have come from I'm floundering. Once the cert. arrives things should be clearer.

Best wishes

Eve

Martyn Freeth

OK. But you can still try the 1851 Census. Looking here at the index-only facility in Ancestry there are only a few candidates of a close age. So, is any of them living in Shelton, parish of St Julian's, Shrewsbury? Of couse you still need confirmation of the father from the marriage certificate.