Alfred Edge, Bridgnorth, 1866-1937

6 replies [Last post]
C8e5trian

I'm writing for some advice or wondered whether you could point me in the right direction.

I researching my partners family tree. We have located his great great grandad Alfred Edge who we have found was Mayor of Bridgnorth on two occasions 1916-1918 and 1934-1935. I wondered if anyone had any further info or if you know whether mayoral pictures or photos would have been taken at the time and if so where we might find a copy. I haven't sadly found any in the numerous news articles we have come across.

His details are Alfred Edge born Oct 1866 Prees in Shropshire and died 23rd January 1937 in Bridgnorth, Shropshire. He was listed at 3 Listley Street and was noted as a Boot Shop Manager.

Gwynne Chadwick

Hi,

In my vast collection of Bridgnorth records, I have many mentions of Alfred EDGE and his family, including some photographs.

It will take me a day or so to pull all the information together for you.

Do please check back to this message board. You will not receive automatic notification of any replies.

Gwynne

C8e5trian

Good Morning Gwynne

Thank you so much for your message, it really does mean alot. We have since found a very poor photo bit really interesting article from the 25 January 1937 - Birmingham Daily Gazette. Thank you for taking the time to collate some more information for us. I look.foeard to hearing from you.

All the best

Chris

Gwynne Chadwick

Hi Chris,

I’ll assume you already have all the census records, 1939 Register and the Probate records that are available on several web sites.

I’ll try to provide unique information about Alfred EDGE and his family from my collection of various local Bridgnorth records.

Mentioned in the local newspaper, The Bridgnorth Journal.

Issue dated 11th February 1905. Died - Leslie Walter, age 18 mths, son of Alfred and Matilda EDGE of 3 Listley Street.

Issue dated 24th June 1911. Court case - Car accident - mentions John William Lester of 4 Listley Street and Alfred George EDGE of 3 Listley Street.

In a booklet recording individuals from Bridgnorth that served during the First World War.

Gerald C.S. EDGE of 3 Listley St. Lance Corporal. No.13750  C Company, 7 Battalion The King's Shropshire Light Infantry.

As you will know from the census, Alfred EDGE was the Manager of a Boot shop.  A database of Bridgnorth shops and business’s, compiled by a friend, has the business at No.3 Listley Street, Bridgnorth, a Boot & Shoe Dealer from 1913 to 1941 owned by the Sterling Co Ltd.

There is a significant amount of information on Ancestry about one son of Alfred EDGE, namely Frederick Clifford Winston EDGE recorded as being in a prison camp in Thailand or 4D Camp in 1942.

Record of EDGE burials in Bridgnorth Municipal Cemetery.

I had expected to find a memorial headstone in the cemetery but unfortunately there was nothing at either location.

EDGE, Alfred. Boot Manager, age 70 of Northwood House, Hookfield Lane*, Bridgnorth. Buried on 26th Jan 1937. Grave No.342 UnConsecrated.

EDGE, Leslie Walter. Son of Alfred & Matilda, age 1 month. Buried on 8th Feb 1905. Grave No.342 UnConsecrated.

EDGE, Matilda. Widow, age 85 of 116 Victoria Road*, Bridgnorth. Buried on 21st June 1955. Grave No.343 UnConsecrated.

Connected to ‘your’ family or not?

EDGE, Edith Louisa. Wife of Joseph, age 50 of 20? Mount Pleasant, Redditch. Buried on 19th June 1934. Grave No.244 UnConsecrated.

* Comment - Hookfield Lane later became Victoria Road.

Being buried in the UnConsecrated area of the cemetery indicates the family were not Church of England.

Alfred EDGE was apparently a member of the Bridgnorth Bowling Club and is listed in the caption of at least five photographs that have been published in the Bridgnorth Journal newspaper. I suggest that you request the Webmaster of this Message Forum to supply you with my email address so that we can communicate direct and I can email you the other copies at a larger size.

Alfred EDGE is stood on our right, on the back row.

Alfred EDGE is listed on the following photograph but his position is not identified. Dated 1906.

Alfred EDGE is stood 2nd from our right, on the back row. Dated late 1890’s.

Another son of Alfred EDGE, namely Donald EDGE apparently went on to be a pianist at the BBC. More information is available online.

Two copies of the same photograph are shown below but with different captions. Dated 1953.

One of four boards in the Bridgnorth Town Hall recording all previous Mayor’s of Bridgnorth.

This photograph is of the funeral cortege of Alfred EDGE. Dated 1937.

Northwood House.  No.116 Victoria Road, Bridgnorth in 2022.

Hope this is of some interest.

Gwynne Chadwick

C8e5trian

Gwynne, I can't thank you enough for the time and effort in providing this. Its really made our day and is incredibly beneficial to our efforts to know Alfred on a personal level.  My partner notes a strong resemblance to his grandfather on the first photo and his dad on the earlier photo. Eveything you mentioned all point to the right family.  We had noted a lot of the information and recently learned about the BBC pianist and the the other family member being a prisoner of war but you have helped to fill in more gaps. We are endeavouring to learn more. I thank you for the offer to send the photos and I will pass on my email as suggested. We're not local and with the passing of his grandparents we have been trying to fill in the information so it means the world to us. 

Many thanks once again. Chris

Michael J Hulme

Hello Chris

I have forwarded your email address to Gwynne Chadwick.

Mike (Admin)

C8e5trian

Thank you.

All the best.

Chris